Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Master password macOS High Sierra

Hi,

We have a family Mac and I'm running into following problem.

If you enter login password several times wrong, you will be ask for a master password.

If you enter this master password, you can change account password.

I would like to modify this master password, however I can not find a setup for it anywhere.

Running macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6

FileVault is turned off and not being used.

There is no gear icon next to + and - symbols in Users & Groups settings as suggested somewhere that this location is used to modify master password.

Many thanks

Erazem

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 6:57 PM

Hey ejrazem,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I see from your post that you're having trouble changing your admin password. I'd be happy to help out.

I'd recommend using these steps:

Change or reset the password of a macOS user account - Apple Support

Let us know if this helps.

Cheers!

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 8, 2020 4:19 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Hi Alex,

thanks for you answer, however it does not solve my problem.

I'm aware of all the methods described in your link, but I'm not talking about admin password. I'm talking about "master password". It looks like this functionality was removed in OS X High Sierrra.

I want to change password, which was previously available under setting icon (marked with red circle on attached picture)

This icon is not available in OS X High Sierra anymore.

The problem I'm running into is that my kids know so this master password and they can easily enter my admin profile using it. All they have to do is to type few times wrong my admin password. Then they get a screen like this.

Because they now Master Password, they can easily login to my account and change all the limitations I did to them.

I'm not able to change master password anywhere.

Once more Master password is not equal to my Admin password.

Many thanks

Erazem

Master password macOS High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.