Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro - no sound

Hi. Starting last night, I've had no audio from iTunes, YouTube video, etc. Occasionally, I get a short burst of audio, but never longer than about 5 seconds. Watching a video today which gave such short durations, I found that if I paused it, and then started it again, I again got another burst (sometimes). Strangely, the volume control icon at the top of the screen keeps resetting its output to zero, even if I've just reset it to full. Also, on the Sound page of System Preferences, under the Output section there is no listing for Internal Speakers - Just Boom, the Digital Out, and Soundflower (2 ch.), the latter of which I cannot delete from the Extensions folder. I do hear the start-up chime as normal.

I upgraded to Catalina, but again, no luck. I use BOOM to enhance the audio, and it seems OK, with it's output set to Internal Output. I called Apple, who got me to reset the PRAM and the SMC, but without any change.

Any ideas as what else to try? Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 6:16 AM

Thanks greatly for the reply. The thing is, just as mysteriously as this problem started a few days ago, last evening it then went away. The sound is working great - and that's without me doing anything new to the computer. Go figure!

I'll keep your suggestions, just in case the problem reoccurs, but for right now I'm going to follow the old advice "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Thanks again. Pete.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2020 6:16 AM in response to MoonJ.

Thanks greatly for the reply. The thing is, just as mysteriously as this problem started a few days ago, last evening it then went away. The sound is working great - and that's without me doing anything new to the computer. Go figure!

I'll keep your suggestions, just in case the problem reoccurs, but for right now I'm going to follow the old advice "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Thanks again. Pete.

Apr 8, 2020 5:47 AM in response to Pete Obermanns

Hello Pete Obermanns,

I see that you're having an issue with intermittent sound coming from your Mac. I know that it is important to have your Mac working properly, and I'd be happy to look into this with you.

You've already gone through some good troubleshooting steps to try to isolate this issue. Let's try a couple more things to see if we can isolate the source of this issue you've been having. First, take a look at the article below with some steps to help with checking your settings.

Get help if the internal speakers on your Mac don't make sound

Next, start your Mac in safe mode and test to see if the issue remains. If the issue remains, create another user account and test again.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Let me know how this goes and if there are any changes.

Have a great day!

MacBook Pro - no sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.