Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Songs need to be authorised by a dead Apple ID

Hi - I have just moved my historic iTunes music library over to a new Mac. Certain songs ask me to authorise using a very old Apple ID which was mine years ago. When I try to reset the password for this old Apple ID, it says "this is not an Apple ID' so I assume it has been disabled from many years of not being used.

Is there anything I can do to access these songs that I bought?

Claire

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 11:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 5:52 PM

Claire, I assume these are DRM-protected songs purchased 2009 or earlier? If so, they do need authorization in order to play.

Apple IDs do not normally expire even if they are unused for many years. Follow the steps in this document -- https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201487 -- and if nothing else works, the last line has the link for Support.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2020 5:52 PM in response to ClaireDavis45

Claire, I assume these are DRM-protected songs purchased 2009 or earlier? If so, they do need authorization in order to play.

Apple IDs do not normally expire even if they are unused for many years. Follow the steps in this document -- https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201487 -- and if nothing else works, the last line has the link for Support.

Songs need to be authorised by a dead Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.