Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes library disappeared after factory reset of iMac

After launching iTunes for the first time since erasing my hard drive there is no sign of my library and I get an alert every few seconds saying I've timed out.

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 5:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 11:19 AM

Hello, Cheapster.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Reading your post, I understand you're missing your iTunes library after restoring your Mac to factory settings. I'd like to help. If you're an Apple Music subscriber, make sure that you sign in with your Apple ID and you turn on Sync Music: Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music

If this was purchased music, you can redownload them using these steps: Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books

If this was music you've ripped from CDs or obtained from other resources, then you'll need to copy the music from your backup and add it to your library: Import music from a computer to Music on Mac

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2020 11:19 AM in response to Cheapster

Hello, Cheapster.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Reading your post, I understand you're missing your iTunes library after restoring your Mac to factory settings. I'd like to help. If you're an Apple Music subscriber, make sure that you sign in with your Apple ID and you turn on Sync Music: Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music

If this was purchased music, you can redownload them using these steps: Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books

If this was music you've ripped from CDs or obtained from other resources, then you'll need to copy the music from your backup and add it to your library: Import music from a computer to Music on Mac

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers!

iTunes library disappeared after factory reset of iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.