Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Other" User Account Suddenly Appears

I have a Macbook Air running Mojave OS. I used to have only three user accounts on login screen. Two were family members and the third was a Guest Account. For whatever reason I now have another account named "Other". Tried going to System Preference> Users and Groups, but "Other" is not listed. I also read about a possible cause being that I enabled the root user. While following the procedures in Directory Utility, my only option was to "Enable Root User". There was not a option to 'Disable Root User.

I also read that there was a command line that I could enter in Terminal that would delete this rouge user account from login screen, but I'm not real familiar with how to do it.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I would really appreciate it...this thing is driving me nuts!

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 6:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 10:40 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Barney. I'm a little uncomfortable about how to exactly enter this code in Terminal Utility. Do I just log in under my Administrator account...open terminal ..and then enter that code exactly as it appears? I guess I would then close out and restart the computer?

Thanks again for the help!

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2020 10:40 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for the quick reply Barney. I'm a little uncomfortable about how to exactly enter this code in Terminal Utility. Do I just log in under my Administrator account...open terminal ..and then enter that code exactly as it appears? I guess I would then close out and restart the computer?

Thanks again for the help!

May 15, 2020 6:11 AM in response to Sheila-Beila

Also, if this profile is legit then I’m okay leaving it. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t hacked or anything.

It would be unbelievably hard to be hacked, but you could certainly install something which you gave your admin password and it create a hidden user account. Or, if you handed the computer to someone and gave them admin privileges into the Mac.

It says “defaults (90356:4320737) Unexpected argument FALSE; leaving defaults unchanged”. Any ideas?

My guess is you entered it incorrectly.

Copy the entire line in Sarge325's post by Triple-clicking the line and copy. Paste that into Terminal.

"Other" User Account Suddenly Appears

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.