Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my battery percentage going bonkers?

Today I got a "battery is low and needs charging" notification when my battery was at 6%. Isn't it supposed to send the notif at 5%? And then when I plugged in the charger, it suddenly jumped to 7%. And then when I removed it, it went down to 5%. And then I charged it again, and it went to 9%, which is odd. And then when I removed the charger, it went up to 14%. What is going on?

MacBook

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 11:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 11:16 PM

If you regularly run your battery dead, it will get quirky very quickly. You can leave your battery plugged in most of the time and it will not overcharge. Use it on battery as needed, but try to keep it far above the zone where you expect a "recharge immediately" warning.

I suspect your battery is too far gone to reliably tell you much, but download "Coconut Battery" (coconut-flavour.com) to find out how much of your original "design capacity" you register in the "maximum charge capacity".

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2020 11:16 PM in response to JacJacJacJac10

If you regularly run your battery dead, it will get quirky very quickly. You can leave your battery plugged in most of the time and it will not overcharge. Use it on battery as needed, but try to keep it far above the zone where you expect a "recharge immediately" warning.

I suspect your battery is too far gone to reliably tell you much, but download "Coconut Battery" (coconut-flavour.com) to find out how much of your original "design capacity" you register in the "maximum charge capacity".

Why is my battery percentage going bonkers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.