Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMessages and Sms Error

Hello,

can you guys help me, I can’t receive any messages. There’s an error message that says i need to connect to wifi for me to activate, can’t i just do it over my mobile data?

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 1:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 1:17 AM

SMS/MMS are a carrier service and are sent/received using cellular data, so please contact them and verify your plan.

iMessages (the ones that go from iPhone to iPhone) use cellular data or wifi network connection. Before using iMessages, you need to activate that feature.

That said, please read details in these support guides:--> About iMessage and SMS/MMS - Apple Support

and/or:--> If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime - Apple Support

Regards

Giulio

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2020 1:17 AM in response to nolwazi294

SMS/MMS are a carrier service and are sent/received using cellular data, so please contact them and verify your plan.

iMessages (the ones that go from iPhone to iPhone) use cellular data or wifi network connection. Before using iMessages, you need to activate that feature.

That said, please read details in these support guides:--> About iMessage and SMS/MMS - Apple Support

and/or:--> If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime - Apple Support

Regards

Giulio

IMessages and Sms Error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.