Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp not working

Hi,

I've been attempting to install a Windows partition for my brother for quite some time now, looking to this forum for help.

His device is a Macbook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012), running macOS Catalina 10.15.4.

A separate issue (which I'm not looking for help for) is that both USB ports are not working. As such, I am only looking for solutions here that involve using a DVD for bootable image.

Issue 1

• I downloaded a Windows 10 64-bit image (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO) onto the MacBook.
  • I'm trying to burn this image to a blank DVD+R DL. However, the Apple image burner returns an error after a few moments of attempting to burn- 'The disc can't be burned because an unexpected error occured (error code 0xFFFFFFFF8002006E)'
  • I've tried using 3 different blank, brand new DVDs but the same problem repeats
  • I've also tried redownloading the windows ISO file 3 times & restarting the Mac lots.

Issue 2

• In an attempt to bypass Issue 1, I successfully burnt a Windows 10 ISO 64-bit image to a blank DVD, using Windows.
  • I know that this burn was a success, as when I hold alt on restart on the MacBook, with DVD inserted, it shows up as a bootable drive.
  • However, when running Bootcamp on MacOS with this DVD inserted, Bootcamp announces 'Need 64-bit Windows 10 installation USB drive or DVD'

Does anyone have any ideas? Please bear in mind the MacBook is a 2012 edition and as such Bootcamp can't be installed without a USB/DVD (unless anyone has any bright ideas!)

Please also note that USB ports are not functioning so the use of a flash drive is not an option.

Would very much appreciate any guidance here.

H

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 3:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 7:57 AM

The 2012 Macs will allow a DVD as a boot disk, provided the USB port has a USB2 flash drive which contains Windows Support Software. The USB contains a folder called $WinPEDriver$. If you use an external Optical drive, there are known issues with non-Apple Superdrives.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) - Technical Specifications has a built-in DVD, while MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012) - Technical Specifications does not.

I use Verbatim DVD-R DL discs. I have also used Sony DVD-R DL discs. I have had issues with Memorex, Toshiba, HP, No Name brands. What brand of DVD+R DL are you using? I have yet to find reliable DVD+R DL discs.

You can use a VM Engine and cloning software to install Windows when the Optical drive is broken. Daemon tools is another option to consider.

You will need to use Brigadier (https://github.com/timsutton/brigadier) on the macOS side to get the drivers and temporarily use Paragon NTFS driver to transfer them to the Windows partition. Broken USB ports will hamper you quite a bit.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2020 7:57 AM in response to the_harry

The 2012 Macs will allow a DVD as a boot disk, provided the USB port has a USB2 flash drive which contains Windows Support Software. The USB contains a folder called $WinPEDriver$. If you use an external Optical drive, there are known issues with non-Apple Superdrives.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) - Technical Specifications has a built-in DVD, while MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012) - Technical Specifications does not.

I use Verbatim DVD-R DL discs. I have also used Sony DVD-R DL discs. I have had issues with Memorex, Toshiba, HP, No Name brands. What brand of DVD+R DL are you using? I have yet to find reliable DVD+R DL discs.

You can use a VM Engine and cloning software to install Windows when the Optical drive is broken. Daemon tools is another option to consider.

You will need to use Brigadier (https://github.com/timsutton/brigadier) on the macOS side to get the drivers and temporarily use Paragon NTFS driver to transfer them to the Windows partition. Broken USB ports will hamper you quite a bit.

Apr 16, 2020 1:42 AM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner T,

Managed to find a work around thanks to your help.

1. Inserted Windows image on DVD as before
  2. Setup a flash drive with just the Windows Support Software
  3. Using a thunderbolt to usb converter, connected this flash drive to Mac
  4. Weirdly, this converter didn't allow proper use of the usb, (i.e. transferring files etc.) BUT it did mean Bootcamp Assistant was able to partition and install windows correctly, without the 'Need 64-bit Windows 10 installation USB drive or DVD' message blocking me from continuing.
  5. After that, I just installed Windows as normal, then burnt a separate DVD with all the Support software on, and installed this through the Windows partition.

Thanks so much for your help! Couldn't have done it without you.

Best,

H

Apr 9, 2020 3:07 AM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner T, thanks for your response.

I'm using the internal optical drive here, which is operating fine for other tasks (playing DVDs etc.).

The discs I'm using are Verbatim DVD+R DL

Perhaps I should try the same brand but as DVD-R DL?

So I don't believe that the optical drive is the issue here - it's either the DVD type, or the lack of USB held Windows support software. Seeing as the USB ports don't work at all I'm not sure how we'd implement that aspect.

Are your program suggestions of Brigadier & Paragon a solution to bypass a broken optical drive? Or are they a solution to bypass a broken USB port?

Thanks again,

H

Apr 9, 2020 4:12 AM in response to Loner T

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#:            TYPE NAME          SIZE    IDENTIFIER

0:   GUID_partition_scheme            *1.0 TB   disk0

1:            EFI EFI           209.7 MB  disk0s1

2:         Apple_APFS Container disk1     1000.0 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):

0:   APFS Container Scheme -           +1000.0 GB disk1

Physical Store disk0s2

1:        APFS Volume MacOSHighSierra - Data 445.2 GB  disk1s1

2:        APFS Volume Preboot         46.0 MB  disk1s2

3:        APFS Volume Recovery        1.0 GB   disk1s3

4:        APFS Volume VM           1.1 GB   disk1s4

5:        APFS Volume MacOSHighSierra     11.1 GB  disk1s5

/dev/disk3 (internal, physical):

0:              CCCOMA_X64FRE_EN-US... *5.4 GB   disk3

Bootcamp not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.