Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Bookmarks from iMac not Populating into iPad2 using same iCloud Account

I have a number of bookmarks on my iMac that won't populate into Safari on my iPad2. I have a number of Apple devices that all use the same iCloud account and these bookmarks have populated into all devices except my iPad2.

I followed Apple's Support guidelines (as laid out below), but still the bookmarks don't populate into my iPad2.

Please assist.

Apple Support

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch

After each step, check to see if the issue still exists.

Turn on Bookmarks and update your device

Check your Internet connection

1. Open Safari and go to www.apple.com. If you can't connect to the Internet, your iCloud Bookmarks and Reading List* won't update in the Safari app. Get help with your Internet connection.
  2. Open a secure website from your iOS device to see if you can access ports 80 and 443. Safari requires access to port 443 to push updates between iCloud and your devices.

* Reading List is only supported on iOS and macOS devices.

Check your account details

Make sure you're signed in with the same Apple ID that you're using on your other supported devices. Tap Settings > [your name].

Restart Safari

Close and restart the Safari app on your iOS device. If you're not sure know how to close Safari, follow these steps.

Turn off iCloud Bookmarks and turn it back on

1. Tap Settings > [your name] > iCloud.
  2. Turn off Safari. 
  3. You can choose Delete from My [device] if your data exists on one or more of your computers. Otherwise, choose Keep on My [device].
  4. Wait a few minutes, then turn on Safari again.

Restart your device

iPad 2

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 5:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 3:01 PM

Hello there brian mck,

Thanks for the post in Apple Support Communities! Being able to sync your bookmarks is a great function, and I see you're finding that yours sync to most devices, but not your iPad 2. I have some information that I believe will answer your question.

The iPad 2 can run up to iOS 9.3.5 (iOS 9.3.6 if you have a cellular model). This resource published the System requirements for iCloud:

"Bookmarks

Bookmarks is available on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, Mac, and PC.

• iOS 11
  • macOS Sierra 10.12 and Safari 11
  • Windows 7 with iCloud for Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 9, Firefox 22, Google Chrome 28 in desktop mode only, or Opera"

Since Bookmarks require iOS 11, it looks like this feature is not supported on iPad 2. I hope this has been helpful in answer your question!

Best wishes.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2020 3:01 PM in response to brian mck

Hello there brian mck,

Thanks for the post in Apple Support Communities! Being able to sync your bookmarks is a great function, and I see you're finding that yours sync to most devices, but not your iPad 2. I have some information that I believe will answer your question.

The iPad 2 can run up to iOS 9.3.5 (iOS 9.3.6 if you have a cellular model). This resource published the System requirements for iCloud:

"Bookmarks

Bookmarks is available on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, Mac, and PC.

• iOS 11
  • macOS Sierra 10.12 and Safari 11
  • Windows 7 with iCloud for Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 9, Firefox 22, Google Chrome 28 in desktop mode only, or Opera"

Since Bookmarks require iOS 11, it looks like this feature is not supported on iPad 2. I hope this has been helpful in answer your question!

Best wishes.

Apr 9, 2020 12:12 AM in response to chris_g1

Hi Chris_g1,

Thank you for your response and whilst I am frustrated to learn that Apple no longer supports iPad 2 in iCloud (if I understand it correctly), there is no much I can do about it.

My iMac operating system is macOS Mojave V10.14.6 and my iPad 2 runs iOS 9.3.5 (no further updates available for this model). I used to be able to sync Safari bookmarks on my iPad and I find it rather strange that the sync functionality works on iPad 2 for Contacts, Calendars and Notes, but not Bookmarks.

I bought my iPad in 2011 and it is sad to see that this model is "obsolete" after 9 years.

Safari Bookmarks from iMac not Populating into iPad2 using same iCloud Account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.