Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create an iPad/Apple TV or iPhone version of a home video in the new TV app on my Mac?

Now that I have upgraded to Catalina on my Mac, all my movies and home videos are in the new TV app on my Mac. I have some movies that are large and I want to create iPad/Apple TV and iPhone versions of them. In the past, this was the method:

In the iTunes app on your Mac, choose Movies from the pop-up menu at the top left, then click Library. Select the movie, then choose File > Convert > Create iPad or Apple TV Version.

However, I can't find ANYTHING in the TV app that will let me create smaller file versions for iPad/Apple TV and iPhone.

Help? This is so annoying!!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 5:08 PM

Import them into iMovie and export in the format you want.

3 replies

Apr 12, 2020 10:22 AM in response to Barney-15E

No, that does not work and isn't what I was asking. In the previous version of iTunes you could take a large file from iMovie, import it into iTunes and then wihin iTunes you could "create iPod/iPhone version" or "create iPad/Apple TV version".... iMovie does not offer this. It only lets you share/export as:

For Youtube

For Email

For Vimeo

For File (which is 4k only and doens't give a size option)

For Facebook

I can't find the function in the new version of iTunes/Music to do what it did before so it would have a smaller version of movies created in iMovie to sync to a phone.

Apr 12, 2020 12:17 PM in response to danielkinkade

Apparently, Music doesn't do that. Nobody here can change that.

I can choose from several resolutions and compression options when I share it to file.

I don't know why you only can see one resolution.

Those shortcuts you mentioned were merely variations of the resolution and compression for each of the named options. It was a special format for iPhone or anything like that. And, none of those make any sense anymore as there are many different iPhone screen sizes.

How do I create an iPad/Apple TV or iPhone version of a home video in the new TV app on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.