Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading Firm Ware to support Catalina

I currently have a 27" late 2009 iMac. I'm running a 2.8 GHZ processor, 8 GB memory,, 1067 MHZ DDR3, SSD w/406 GB Storage available. I would like to upgrade to Catalina from Sierra but I keep getting an "error" that says it cannot be upgraded. I realized that my iMac is later than the 2012 that is supported but is there a way to upgrade the firm ware to support the OS upgrade or is there more to it than that?

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 3:45 PM

You can use your 27" 2009 iMac as a display for your 2014 MacBook.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

You will need a Mini DisplayPort cable, such as:

https://www.startech.com/Cables/Audio-Video/DisplayPort/6-ft-Mini-DisplayPort-Cable-Male-to-Male~MDISPLPORT6

6 replies

Apr 6, 2020 10:14 AM in response to Jeanneofthebottle

You can donate it, recycle it (use Apple's recycling plan) of keep it. Trying to continue using any extremely old computer is a challenge and at some point becomes technically impossible as technology continues to move forward. My suggestion is to upgrade to a new iMac. If money is the problem, consider an Apple Refurbished iMac or you can get financing from Apple that is very attractive if you have good credit or even buy a used Mac from a creditable source such as macsales.com.

Upgrading Firm Ware to support Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.