Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Organising folders by dates in Finder (mac)

Hello,

Im trying to be organised on my mac. I have made multiple personal folders and each of them are labelled with a date (YYYY/MMM/DD).

The thing is, all the folders have dates that are determined by me and not by the computer due to the metadata being incorrect in certain files.

My problem is that the folders in the Mac's Finder are not showing in chronological order.

So say I have a folder with the year 2016 July 10 to the end of 2017 May 10.

2016 should appear at the top, from the earliest month and day in a timeline sequence all the way down to 2017.

In the finder as it shows now,

1st row will have 2016 and 2017: (2016 Dec 31), (2016 July 10), (2017 Jan 13.)

2016 July should come before 2016 Dec. 2017 Jan should be much further down the line. And also 2016 Jul 10 should be at the very top beginning as the Folder's date started in 2016 July 10.

2nd row will have 2016: (2016 Aug 9), (2016 Sep 24), (2016 Sep 25.)

that row is in the correct sequence.

3rd row will have 2016 and 2017: (2016 Jul 20), (2016 Oct 12), (2017 Apr 26)

This row is also correct in its sequence although 2016 Jul 20 should be at the very top as the date started in 2016 July.

But please note, In this case, 2017 files were not grouped together.

If I can't do that, is there a way of manually organising the folders so that I can have the dates in the order I want without mac defaulting to the way it was? I have tried the view option and sorting it by date added or modified etc but it does not work for me.

Thanks!

Claire.

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 9:42 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the numeric months instead of the text and by name did the trick so thank you for that.

Now it would mean I would have to do all my folders in that way. Good to know for future folders.

I'll be cheeky though, If you or anyone knows if there's a possible way, of doing the dates by text in the order I wanted I would be grateful and wouldn't have to redo the other folders!

thanks!

Claire.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2020 9:42 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the numeric months instead of the text and by name did the trick so thank you for that.

Now it would mean I would have to do all my folders in that way. Good to know for future folders.

I'll be cheeky though, If you or anyone knows if there's a possible way, of doing the dates by text in the order I wanted I would be grateful and wouldn't have to redo the other folders!

thanks!

Claire.

Apr 6, 2020 8:45 AM in response to clairemissy

Confirm you are sorting by Name in Finder? Also confirm you are not Grouping by Date? They are on the same button, but you have to use the Option key to get Sorting. Grouping combines them into Groups which I guess is why you have rows of folders.

If so, D comes before J. The name has no value other than alphanumeric sorting. However, the finder will sort numerically if it recognizes the numeric sequence.

Use numeric months instead of text and Sort by Name, not Date. Set Group By to None. The Finder will not recognize the words as a date time quantity.

Organising folders by dates in Finder (mac)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.