Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Colorsync utility can't fix the icc file ?

Hello, I am a new Macbook user. recently I was changing display colour profile and somehow I find out there it's file call ITU-2020.icc can't fix with ColorSync utility. Please help Thank you

/System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ITU-2020.icc

Header message digest (MD5) is not correct.

The file is locked. Could not be fixed.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 12:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2020 9:19 AM

I think I might have found a solution.

Open a new Terminal window and type this into the prompt:

sudo /System/Applications/Utilities/ColorSync\ Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/ColorSync\ Utility ; exit;

This will then ask you to enter your macOS password. Enter it and hit enter. This will open up the ColorSync Utility app using root privileges. Be sure to leave the Terminal window open while you're working with ColorSync Utility!

Within ColorSync Utility click the "Verify" button like normal and let it report back the issues it found. Then click "Repair" like normal—it should fix the issues and will say so next to the files it has fixed. To confirm click "Verify" again. You should get a message saying "Verifying done. No problems found."

Similar questions

45 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2020 9:19 AM in response to Mii-CMC

I think I might have found a solution.

Open a new Terminal window and type this into the prompt:

sudo /System/Applications/Utilities/ColorSync\ Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/ColorSync\ Utility ; exit;

This will then ask you to enter your macOS password. Enter it and hit enter. This will open up the ColorSync Utility app using root privileges. Be sure to leave the Terminal window open while you're working with ColorSync Utility!

Within ColorSync Utility click the "Verify" button like normal and let it report back the issues it found. Then click "Repair" like normal—it should fix the issues and will say so next to the files it has fixed. To confirm click "Verify" again. You should get a message saying "Verifying done. No problems found."

Apr 14, 2020 6:54 PM in response to Sherry_2020_MACupdate_causes_M

I tried starting up in safe mode, learned this seems to clear the user cache as part of that process (good to know). The instructions are here: https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201262

But, this hasn't resolved the problem. Can you explain specifically what "go to history and clear history" you are referring to? There are plenty of histories this could be (terminal, browser....).

May 29, 2020 5:43 AM in response to aditya_hajare

OMG, Georgo Martini that did it! Fixed my 4k Acer XR342CK model. Finally have good color and no more greying out on my monitor!

aditya_hajare, the option should be on your external monitor display menu. Looks like you're showing only the one for the built-in display in your image. 2 windows should pop up when you go to the displays menu with an external monitor plugged in. Sometimes they hide behind other windows or on the wrong monitor, in my experience.

Apr 14, 2020 7:47 AM in response to Sherry_2020_MACupdate_causes_M

No, it's not resolved. I have the same issue and when I search for the exact match of the file "ITU-2020.icc" on my mac it doesn't appear. I have hidden files set to display and this file does not exist in any searchable drive. However, it appears as an error when running first aid on Profile First Aid.

Can we have someone who is competent actually reply in this thread? I don't think we need more "this is happening to me" comments. Doesn't that one pretentious bald guy usually show up and ask us to run a bunch of basic diagnostic files and then tells us he can't help us? Why is this color profile issue still happening, I see another thread from 2015 with the EXACT same file that has the SAME repair blocked by a locked file message. What is the issue with apple support, or is this just a glorified forum that is run by fans?

Apr 15, 2020 7:04 AM in response to ddrt

"This is happening to me" comments add weight to the issue. But you may be correct about us just talking to ourselves.

I suspect the .icc file is packaged the way BSD/Linux OSes tend to do, and isn't detectable as a file distinct from its package. You should be able to "see" it in the Colorsync Utility under Profiles > System > Rec. ITU-R BT.2020-1, "Open." The header is visible there in the new panel as the lead component. I don't know enough to diagnose the header by examining its bits, but that's at least one way to see the "problem" data.

St. Steve Jobs, pray for us!

Apr 27, 2020 5:31 AM in response to satya117

Same problem here. LG-4K monitor gives a blue-ish screen after updating to the latest Catalina-version (10.15.4). The screen of the Macbook pro (15 inch, 2017, running Catalina 10.15.4 now) stays correct. Safe mode helps to correct the LG 4K screen, but returning to normal mode gives the same problem again. It makes my LG-screen worthless. Please fix this problem!

May 8, 2020 12:43 PM in response to Mii-CMC

I have same problem, I have Macbook pro retine 2013 but I intsall Catalina and my webcam es horror and I try change webcam settings with display colour profile and somehow I find out there it's file call ITU-2020.icc can't fix with ColorSync utility.

Please help , i need my origen quality of webacam facetime HD

/System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ITU-2020.icc

Header message digest (MD5) is not correct.

The file is locked. Could not be fixed.

May 9, 2020 1:45 AM in response to Sherry_2020_MACupdate_causes_M

fourth, go to history and clear history

What do you mean by this? Clear the browser history or what?

Please provide steps.

Sherry_2020_MACupdate_causes_M wrote:

firstly, turn off your computer
secondly, hold down the shift key for ten seconds right after you click the button to turn it back on
thirdly, log in
fourth, go to history and clear history
fifth, restart the computer and sign in again
then it should be fixed because that is safe boot

May 9, 2020 5:30 AM in response to paulina_san_sag

The ITU-2020.icc file was recently update February 29, 2020 with the point release of Catalina 10.15.4. Once Apple release 10.15.5 the file has an update of April 6, 2020 which should address all these issues. Currently Apple just release the 4th beta for 10.15.5 so I have no idea when it will officially be released to the public. Maybe someone from Apple could respond and provide a possible date for release?

May 14, 2020 8:59 AM in response to amcarthu2

Just chiming in to say I seem to have the same issue with my Acer 4k monitor after updating to Catalina 10.15.4. Switching the monitor to HDR mode, unplugging and replugging it seems to have helped the issue, but the color is still off, with reds looking purple and blacks looking grey. As well text does not display with the same sharpness as before.

Really hope this is fixed in the next update as another poster suggested as this is super dissapointing.

Colorsync utility can't fix the icc file ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.