Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I Sign in Messages in my MacBook Pro?

For some reason, I can't sign into Messages because it said that there was "An error occurred during authentication." I restarted several times, checked the wifi, and checked my phone to see if it worked also. The reason I signed out of Messages was because it went to SMS messages, which was not what I wanted in my MacBook Pro. But when I came back to sign in, there was an error. Is there a way to solve this?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 2:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 8:01 PM

Please review all these suggestions: If you can't sign in to your iMessage account or FaceTime on your Mac.

3 replies

Apr 7, 2020 12:50 PM in response to John Galt

I did everything listed on the link that you sent me. But however, the only the thing that didn't seem to work was restarting the NVRAM. I shut down the laptop, then turned it on, and then press the four keys: Option+command+P+R. I held it for 20 seconds, but the apple logo didn't show up, so I tried it again, only I held it for three minutes. The only result I had was some blinking the whole time. If I let go, all it says it to put in the password to restart the laptop. It didn't seem to restart the NVRAM. I watched a video on how to restart the NVRAM, and the screen was totally different from what I see on my screen.

Apr 7, 2020 5:17 PM in response to Snorlax_Online

Resetting NVRAM might not cause any obvious reaction from the Mac. It sounds as though you did it correctly.

If you followed all those instructions I don't know what else to suggest, other than to comment that if you are using, or have used at any time in the past, any non-Apple "anti-virus", "cleaning", or "Internet security" products including "banking security", anything at all in that broad category of utterly useless garbage, don't. A lot of things won't work if you do. Those things tend to interfere with the communications required by the servers Apple uses for iMessage and FaceTime, and should just go without saying.

At your convenience please Contact Apple Support and describe the difficulties you're having. It may be something on their end that needs to be fixed, or it may be (as their Support documents suggest) a problem with the ISP you're using. Those potential causes lie beyond your ability to fix on your own.

Would you please let me know what they have to say?

Why can't I Sign in Messages in my MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.