Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine can't delete files from old backups

I wanted to delete a file from an old backup and erase it from all the backups before then, but time machine did not show that option upon right click (or using the gear icon). I could only delete a file if it exists in the most current backup.

That is, if the file had been deleted and no longer exists in the most recent backup, but existed in prior backups, there is no way to delete it from those older backups.

Much appreciate any help!

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 5:08 PM

4 replies

Apr 7, 2020 8:39 AM in response to asuasu

If you're handling sensitive information, I recommend you exclude it from TM backups (Ex: exclude the folder). Then use a separate backup strategy for it in a way that you have full control. I do it for confidential client information I must delete after the mandate by contract.

Meanwhile, as leroydouglas said, it is too late for existing TM backups apart from wiping them.

WD

Apr 7, 2020 4:25 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you leroydouglas, but I don't think I quite understand -- let's say I have a folder with sensitive information called "sensitive". That folder has been there for a year and exists in all TM backups. Now I don't need them anymore, so I deleted it from my Macbook. Then, I wanted to delete that folder from every backup I ever had. So I entered TM, go to my previous backup (say 1 hour ago), right click on that "sensitive" folder -- it does not show the option to delete, not to mention delete from all backups. I can only restore it to current Macbook, but not delete it from all previous backups.

If I right click on a folder that still exists on my Macbook, say "Pictures", it does show the option to delete from previous backups.

I would much appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Time Machine can't delete files from old backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.