Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem: Nothing appears in PLACES tab within Photos desktop app except the map

I have imported more than 35K photos with gps info from my iphone into a NEW library in PHOTOS desktop application. Everything works perfect EXCEPT the PLACES tab. When I click PLACES to see my photos on the map, only the map is displayed but 0 (zero) photos... :(

But when I click on "Get Info" in photo view I can see the location in the info box.

I tried with another library (option+command+click and NEW Library) and then imported there some 1000 photos from my drone (with GPS info again) and again the same, location appears on Get Info but NOTHING inside the PLACES tab.

Any help please ?????

iMac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 4:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 3:36 PM

Thank you very much for your answer. Well, this is very strange since in Photos and Mojave was working like a charm. Now on my Catalina 10.15.4 i have this problem. And since my photo library is very big (2,43TB) that's why I am using referenced Library because i don't have another 3TB on my external OWC SSD drive...

+++And YES... I just select a couple of photos and run 'File > Consolidate' and YES now i can see those photos on the map in PLACES tab...!!!!!!!

WOW, Apple programmers, please !!!????!!!! This is insane, it should be just a small bug please fix it guys !!!!!!!!!

Because from the grid photo view i can see the location on 'Get Info' on every photo in the Library.....

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2020 3:36 PM in response to léonie

Thank you very much for your answer. Well, this is very strange since in Photos and Mojave was working like a charm. Now on my Catalina 10.15.4 i have this problem. And since my photo library is very big (2,43TB) that's why I am using referenced Library because i don't have another 3TB on my external OWC SSD drive...

+++And YES... I just select a couple of photos and run 'File > Consolidate' and YES now i can see those photos on the map in PLACES tab...!!!!!!!

WOW, Apple programmers, please !!!????!!!! This is insane, it should be just a small bug please fix it guys !!!!!!!!!

Because from the grid photo view i can see the location on 'Get Info' on every photo in the Library.....

Apr 7, 2020 6:42 AM in response to moschos-alexpolis

Photos 5 on Catalina has a bug with respect to Places and referenced photos. If you import the photos without copying them into the Photos Library, the photos will not appear on the Places map. Only photos, that are managed by Photos - copied into the library on Import, will be shown in Places.

Are you using a referenced Library (The Photos Preferences > Importing: Copy Items into the Photos Library disabled) ? As a test - select one of the photos and use the command "File > Consolidate". Does it now appear in the Places?

Problem: Nothing appears in PLACES tab within Photos desktop app except the map

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.