Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes to Apple Music

Which song am I supposed to keep? Before apple started the change over process from iTunes to Apple Music, apple seems to be collecting in all the songs on my MacBook Pro. When Apple Music launched and iTunes was no more on my MacBook Pro, I was left with a sort of double of every song I had. I have no idea which one I am supposed to delete or keep! can anyone help? I have a picture of two different symbols at the end of each song.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 8:49 AM

iTunes and Apple Music are 2 different things, one is not replacing the other.

iTunes can refer to either the iTunes Application or the iTunes Store. The iTunes application was replaced only in macOS Catalina with the Music App. In older versions of macOS and on Windows, the iTunes application continues to exist.

Apple Music is a subscription service available in both the iTunes application and the Music app. Apple Music does not in any way supersede or replace either the iTunes application nor the iTunes Store.

Songs can come from either the iTunes Store as a purchase you can keep, and from the Apple Music subscription service as a download or stream that you can only access while you are subscribed.

With that said, what you have there is an indication, the cloud with the x inside, that the song S&M was deleted from another computer that has your music library and has Music sync turned on. It still exists on iCloud and can be downloaded from there as evidenced by the other entry with the downward arrow coming out of the cloud.

They are not 2 copies of the same song. They are indicators of what you can do or did with that song.

See here: Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2020 8:49 AM in response to jazz288

iTunes and Apple Music are 2 different things, one is not replacing the other.

iTunes can refer to either the iTunes Application or the iTunes Store. The iTunes application was replaced only in macOS Catalina with the Music App. In older versions of macOS and on Windows, the iTunes application continues to exist.

Apple Music is a subscription service available in both the iTunes application and the Music app. Apple Music does not in any way supersede or replace either the iTunes application nor the iTunes Store.

Songs can come from either the iTunes Store as a purchase you can keep, and from the Apple Music subscription service as a download or stream that you can only access while you are subscribed.

With that said, what you have there is an indication, the cloud with the x inside, that the song S&M was deleted from another computer that has your music library and has Music sync turned on. It still exists on iCloud and can be downloaded from there as evidenced by the other entry with the downward arrow coming out of the cloud.

They are not 2 copies of the same song. They are indicators of what you can do or did with that song.

See here: Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support

Itunes to Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.