Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Book Pro keeps shutting down a min after rebooting

i have an old MacBook 13 inch from 2012 and it’s shutting down a min after it loads. I’ve tried the control option shift and it doesn’t change anything. I am unable to get computer support during this time and don’t want an extra expense of a new computer in this climate. Was hoping someone out there can help me fix this. Thanks!

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 5:18 PM

See if you can run the Apple Diagnostics.

Try an SMC reset and a PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes).

Try booting into Safe Mode.

Try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R.

I suspect a failing hard drive, but there is a slim possibility the internal hard drive cable is bad (very common on the 13" model). It could also be a power issue (charger or battery) if you cannot boot into Internet Recovery Mode. You can easily eliminate the internal hard drive cable by removing the hard drive and booting the hard drive externally using a USB to SATA Adapter, drive dock, or enclosure.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2020 5:18 PM in response to dapaneen

See if you can run the Apple Diagnostics.

Try an SMC reset and a PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes).

Try booting into Safe Mode.

Try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R.

I suspect a failing hard drive, but there is a slim possibility the internal hard drive cable is bad (very common on the 13" model). It could also be a power issue (charger or battery) if you cannot boot into Internet Recovery Mode. You can easily eliminate the internal hard drive cable by removing the hard drive and booting the hard drive externally using a USB to SATA Adapter, drive dock, or enclosure.

Mac Book Pro keeps shutting down a min after rebooting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.