Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to find a lost imessage

I was writing a LONG message to someone in iMessage. I got an incoming message from my husband and switched to him and replied. I went back to the original friend to keep writing and my whole message had disappeared. I had poured my heart out. Why does this happen and how can I keep it deom

happening? Can’t it save in my cloud or something?

iPhone X, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 4:21 PM

Here is what I have found from my experience with the Messages app-

1. If you use the "Text" icon (top right in the messages app) to initiate a text and begin typing AND you need to either back out of the app OR an incoming call that you answer takes over then the only option left is "Cancel" top right of the texting window. At that time whatever you typed, without hitting send, will be gone.
  2. If you begin your texts by tapping on an existing thread of texts of that person then you have an option to back out (Back Arrow located at top left) and come back to this thread to continue typing. Nothing will be lost even if "Send" has not been hit.

To answer your question directly, Point 1 runs a slight risk of losing unsent text while point 2 does not.

Axel F.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2020 4:21 PM in response to danzaoroni

Here is what I have found from my experience with the Messages app-

1. If you use the "Text" icon (top right in the messages app) to initiate a text and begin typing AND you need to either back out of the app OR an incoming call that you answer takes over then the only option left is "Cancel" top right of the texting window. At that time whatever you typed, without hitting send, will be gone.
  2. If you begin your texts by tapping on an existing thread of texts of that person then you have an option to back out (Back Arrow located at top left) and come back to this thread to continue typing. Nothing will be lost even if "Send" has not been hit.

To answer your question directly, Point 1 runs a slight risk of losing unsent text while point 2 does not.

Axel F.

how to find a lost imessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.