Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to retrive lost videos that were in iMovie media tab?

I lost SO MUCH footage that was in my iMovie media tab, is there a way to restore them?

I had a lot of videos in the media tab to edit and I did not have them saved anywhere else- learned my lesson the hard way.

As I was editing, I clicked restore in a pop up and that deleted all the videos and crashed my screen. It was really weird but after googling how to fix the issue, I managed to get my screen to stop flickering; however, my videos in the media tab are still missing.

Please help!

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 4:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2020 8:39 AM

Try looking in the iMovie Backups folder on your Mac to see if you can recover a backup of your iMovie library at a point in time before the crash occurred.

To get to the iMovie Backups folder, follow this file path from the Finder menu:

Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovieBackups

When you get there you will see a list of previous backups of your iMovie library.  Click on one dated just before your issue started.  iMovie will open in that library.   Navigate to your projects browser (where your projects are displayed as icons) and see if your projects are intact.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2020 8:39 AM in response to dania216

Try looking in the iMovie Backups folder on your Mac to see if you can recover a backup of your iMovie library at a point in time before the crash occurred.

To get to the iMovie Backups folder, follow this file path from the Finder menu:

Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovieBackups

When you get there you will see a list of previous backups of your iMovie library.  Click on one dated just before your issue started.  iMovie will open in that library.   Navigate to your projects browser (where your projects are displayed as icons) and see if your projects are intact.

-- Rich

How to retrive lost videos that were in iMovie media tab?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.