Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My exercise counter on my newish Apple Watch doesn't work

My exercise counter on my newish watch doesn't work as seems to be the case for many others. It appeared to randomly under-record the minutes. My husband and I go on teh same walk- he has an older watch and his is fine. WE have tried everything. What we now think is the problem is that when we are walking through tall buildings, the GPS for some reason doesn't record. It's really annoying, especially when it tells me 'come on, you can do it'. It's also my second new one- i took it back and got a replacement- same problem. Apple used to get these things right.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch, watchOS 4

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 12:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 12:09 PM

The exercise ring doesn’t measure time of a workout, it measures time of intense activity where your heart rate is above normal. So, for example, on a walk, it’s harder to get your heart rate up for a long period of time and therefore harder to get all 30 minuets of exercise credit. Your Watch uses a lot of different data in it’s calculations as well. Since no two humans are identical, it’s almost impossible for two people to get the exact same results of a workout.

For more info about how Apple Watch tracks exercise, see this article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207941

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2020 12:09 PM in response to themaggot

The exercise ring doesn’t measure time of a workout, it measures time of intense activity where your heart rate is above normal. So, for example, on a walk, it’s harder to get your heart rate up for a long period of time and therefore harder to get all 30 minuets of exercise credit. Your Watch uses a lot of different data in it’s calculations as well. Since no two humans are identical, it’s almost impossible for two people to get the exact same results of a workout.

For more info about how Apple Watch tracks exercise, see this article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207941

My exercise counter on my newish Apple Watch doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.