Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie is not working properly after the new MacOS update

My MBP is 13-inch MBP Retina display from early 2015 with 2.7 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, - Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB with macOS Catalina 10.15.4.

Everything was working fine, but for a week , iMovie is showing black/green flickers in the viewscreen during playback, and freezes there after. It was working fine till March 31.

I downgraded to Yosemite and then upgraded to Mojave, but this problem persisted. Now I used the recovery to reinstall Catalina 10.15.4 and the problem still persists. Same is with Filmora, FCPX.

I have seen this happens when I change the color or apply any changes to the video. Everything is normal while trimming and cutting. No any extra plugins installed.

You can see the viewer in the iMovie. Similar thing happens with FCPX and within a while it freezes.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 4:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 8:21 AM

Since the problem is happening with two other apps as well as iMovie, the problem might be with the video clip itself. What format, resolution, and frame rate is the clip, and on what device was it recorded? Try using a different video clip and see if the problem persists.

With iMovie, you can try resetting preferences and see if that helps. To do that open iMovie while holding down the

Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the artifacts are gone. Now see if iMovie works properly.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2020 8:21 AM in response to Aavishkar

Since the problem is happening with two other apps as well as iMovie, the problem might be with the video clip itself. What format, resolution, and frame rate is the clip, and on what device was it recorded? Try using a different video clip and see if the problem persists.

With iMovie, you can try resetting preferences and see if that helps. To do that open iMovie while holding down the

Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the artifacts are gone. Now see if iMovie works properly.

-- Rich

iMovie is not working properly after the new MacOS update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.