Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro 16 inch 96watt power supply limited to 60watt

Hi,

My new macbook pro 16 inch with the 96watt charging brick (and factory included usb-c cable) charges at a limit of 60 watt instead of 94 watt.

When using the macbook heavy it even drained the battery when plugged in.

I reseted the smc, tried different ports, different cables,... for some reason only one thing worked. Letting the battery drain fully, then charging the macbook to 100%. When i then use the macbook under heavy load it stays at 100% when plugged in and charges at up to 94watt speeds. When i unplug, it resets back to 60 watt and hav to start the proces al over again...

This is a screenshot where you can see the 96 watt charger is plugged in and recognized, but limited to 60watt charging.

The next screenshot is from the time i let it drain and charged it back up to 100%. Only then it allowed 94 watt charging.

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Serial Number]

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 6:44 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 8, 2020 6:58 AM in response to Tom_Her

Tom_Her wrote:

Hi,

My new macbook pro 16 inch with the 96watt charging brick (and factory included usb-c cable) charges at a limit of 60 watt instead of 94 watt.

When using the macbook heavy it even drained the battery when plugged in.

I reseted the smc, tried different ports, different cables,... for some reason only one thing worked. Letting the battery drain fully, then charging the macbook to 100%. When i then use the macbook under heavy load it stays at 100% when plugged in and charges at up to 94watt speeds. When i unplug, it resets back to 60 watt and hav to start the proces al over again...

This is a screenshot where you can see the 96 watt charger is plugged in and recognized, but limited to 60watt charging.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/c8e7337d-7f17-4290-9bb2-283066fce6db
The next screenshot is from the time i let it drain and charged it back up to 100%. Only then it allowed 94 watt charging.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/237c830e-cf83-48e7-9594-9280d06bd4bf

If you are under a load then being plugged into the mains, having the charger plugged directly to the USBC port.

Your experience seems a bit odd.

I can not discern anything form those screen shots— maybe if you could translate somehow or highlight the point.

From >(Option key)>System Information>Power

Non-the-less I would recommend you Call (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE.

Apr 8, 2020 7:52 AM in response to Tom_Her

A similar thread a few days ago was resolved by replacing the Charge cable. The user said their Charge cable was defective.

That could also be caused by using a too-small capacity charge cable.

Remember that all cables are now for specific purposes -- the days when, 'if you plugged in an Apple cable it just worked' are long gone. We are now in the USB-C era, where USB-C is the name of the connector, ONLY, and not a valid name for any cable.

Macbook pro 16 inch 96watt power supply limited to 60watt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.