Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad with GPS

Considering new iPad - do I need to buy the cellular version if I only need it to navigate with a GPS mapping program in remote areas?

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 11:23 AM

Yes. WiFi Only models do not have any GPS capability - as GPS is an element of the Cellular chipset.

This model differentiation is often missed by buyers, who often choose the WiFi Only models as a cost saving - only to later discover that GPS is not supported.

For clarity, whilst part of the Cellular chipset, cellular functions are completely independent of the GPS functions. You do not require an airtime contract.

I hope this clarification is helpful in informing your purchase decision.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2020 11:23 AM in response to larryfromedmonds

Yes. WiFi Only models do not have any GPS capability - as GPS is an element of the Cellular chipset.

This model differentiation is often missed by buyers, who often choose the WiFi Only models as a cost saving - only to later discover that GPS is not supported.

For clarity, whilst part of the Cellular chipset, cellular functions are completely independent of the GPS functions. You do not require an airtime contract.

I hope this clarification is helpful in informing your purchase decision.

Apr 8, 2020 11:24 AM in response to larryfromedmonds

Down at the bottom of this page linked it says GPS is on iPhones and wifi & cellular ipads

About privacy and Location Services in iOS and iPadOS - Apple Support

So yes, it looks like it must be a cellular model

iOS and iPadOS devices without a cellular connection use only Wi-Fi for Location Services (if a Wi-Fi network is available). Some third-party apps rely on a Wi-Fi connection for region monitoring. If a device is passcode locked, this feature may be limited or inaccurate.

iPad with GPS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.