Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS update for Mid 2011 IMac

Hi - I have a mid 2011 Imac that is running Yosemite. Been using it primariy as a second screen but would like to start using it as an additional computer again. Would like to secure it as best as possible. It seems that the most advanced OS update I can put on it is High Sierra. Is that the case and if so should I upgrade to it and how can I do so? When trying to download the update on that computer from the App store it says the copy is damaged and won't download.

Thanks!

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 11:20 AM

Yes, I'd install it, If you are getting a message that the update is damaged, go to your Applications folder and look for "Install Mac OS High Sierra" and Trash it. Then restart your Mac and download it again.

5 replies

Apr 8, 2020 1:16 PM in response to LogicUser12

LogicUser12 wrote:

Does it matter which one I use?

No but you should only keep 1 copy of the installer on your Mac or it will again give you the message that the install is damaged.

Why do you recommend the upgrade - just curious.

Because the newer system is still supported and will work with newer versions of Mac OS and third party softwares.

when I install it does it uninstall the previous OS automatically and then install the new one?

It installs all files and Applications of Mac OS that have been upgraded. If you mean can you upgrade and directly and skip previous upgrades, yes.

OS update for Mid 2011 IMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.