Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install Linux on MacBook Air with T2 Security Chip

I've decided in install (single-boot) Ubuntu 18.04 on my newly purchased MacBook Air 2020 (With the new scissor-style keyboard). It has T2 security chip installed and I understand how to disable secure boot. But however, my valid installation medium (The installation USB) doesn't install it. After some research, it is caused by the T2 security chips rejecting the verification of the installation medium. The question is, would I be able to install any Linux OSes on the MacBook Air and how to disable T2 chip completely.

Information:

MacBook Air (2020)

128G

Quad-core 1.1GHz

T2 Security Chip

macOS Catalina 15.03

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 1:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 5:20 PM

Linux support for the Keyboard & Trackpad, the networking drivers, and the T2 security chip only just recently got merged into the mainline Linux Kernel. I'm fairly sure you need at least kernel version 5.4+ to get some of these features working and I believe v5.6 may be necessary for T2 support. I don't recall which of the post v5.4 releases has T2 support.

Currently you cannot easily install Linux onto an Apple computer which uses the T2 security chip because the Linux Kernel with the T2 support is not included in any of the currently released distributions as a default kernel. If you want to run Linux on this laptop, then you will most likely need to first install Linux to an older Mac or other UEFI booting PC and install the latest v5.6 kernel. I would suggest trying to boot this customized Linux boot disk externally to confirm you use the built-in keyboard, trackpad, and either WiFi or ethernet. Then clone the Linux install to the internal SSD (again you will need a boot disk with support for the T2 security chip).

I do not recommend dual booting this laptop with both macOS and Linux unless you have good backups and are prepared to perform a clean install or restore from backup since you will at some point most likely do something which will prevent either OS from booting and possibly risk losing access to all the data in one or both operating systems.

You cannot disable the T2 chip as it is an integral part of the system. The most you can do is disable some of the security settings to allow a non-Apple OS to boot and to allow booting from an external drive.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2020 5:20 PM in response to Community User

Linux support for the Keyboard & Trackpad, the networking drivers, and the T2 security chip only just recently got merged into the mainline Linux Kernel. I'm fairly sure you need at least kernel version 5.4+ to get some of these features working and I believe v5.6 may be necessary for T2 support. I don't recall which of the post v5.4 releases has T2 support.

Currently you cannot easily install Linux onto an Apple computer which uses the T2 security chip because the Linux Kernel with the T2 support is not included in any of the currently released distributions as a default kernel. If you want to run Linux on this laptop, then you will most likely need to first install Linux to an older Mac or other UEFI booting PC and install the latest v5.6 kernel. I would suggest trying to boot this customized Linux boot disk externally to confirm you use the built-in keyboard, trackpad, and either WiFi or ethernet. Then clone the Linux install to the internal SSD (again you will need a boot disk with support for the T2 security chip).

I do not recommend dual booting this laptop with both macOS and Linux unless you have good backups and are prepared to perform a clean install or restore from backup since you will at some point most likely do something which will prevent either OS from booting and possibly risk losing access to all the data in one or both operating systems.

You cannot disable the T2 chip as it is an integral part of the system. The most you can do is disable some of the security settings to allow a non-Apple OS to boot and to allow booting from an external drive.

Apr 23, 2020 2:03 AM in response to HWTech

I'm very curious about trying Linux on my 16" MacBook Pro. I've been searching for references to the kernel T2 support, but haven't been able to find any. Can you give me some links to what you know about this support landing in the kernel?

(In particular, I've looked through the https://kernelnewbies.org/ changelogs for 5.4-5.6 and didn't find any relevant references to T2.)

Apr 24, 2020 9:42 AM in response to manuzhai

manuzhai wrote:

I'm very curious about trying Linux on my 16" MacBook Pro. I've been searching for references to the kernel T2 support, but haven't been able to find any. Can you give me some links to what you know about this support landing in the kernel?

(In particular, I've looked through the https://kernelnewbies.org/ changelogs for 5.4-5.6 and didn't find any relevant references to T2.)

I read about it on Phoronix last year sometime between Sept. and Dec. IIRC. I haven't heard anything more recent or how good the support is with it. Unfortunately I haven't had time to try creating a Linux boot disk which is compatible and cloning it to the internal drive. Debian hasn't backported the lastest kernel last time I checked and I don't have time to recompile it. I have a busted MBPro with Touchbar that won't boot macOS but boots Linux just fine. I really want to resurrect this laptop, but I've been busy with work and other issues in dealing with the COVID-19 situation.

FYI, the latest Ubuntu 20.04 release only uses the 5.4.x kernel, so you will still need to do a lot of work on installing Ubuntu and configuring it with the necessary kernel using another UEFI system. You will most likely need to make an image of the installation because you will need to boot the T2 system using this customized Linux boot disk and push the image to the T2 system.

As I mentioned earlier you are better off running Linux in a VM especially on the newer hardware at the moment. Dual booting is always risky so make sure to have good verified working backups of macOS before attempting to dual boot the computer or you risk losing your data. Many times people need to erase the drive and reinstall or restore from a backup when deleting partitions used by other operating systems.

If you get it working, then let us know.

Good luck.

How to install Linux on MacBook Air with T2 Security Chip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.