Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WARNING macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Supplemental Update BRICKED my 13 inch Macbook 2018!

I attempted to install the update but about halfway through my computer shutdown and it bricked my 2018 13 inch MacBook. No power, no fans coming on and off or anything when pressing and holding the power button. It was plugged and fully charged while updating. Anyone else having this problem? Also attempted to do a SMC reset to no avail still won't turn on. I am sending it in for repair. I would hold off updating unless you want to risk losing your computer for a week.

Other people are having issues as well. I made a post on macrumors.com as well.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/warning-macos-catalina-10-15-4-supplemental-update-bricked-my-13-inch-macbook-2018.2230133/

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 6:04 AM

5 replies

Apr 9, 2020 6:16 AM in response to Thubredhal

The same thing happened to me on my NEW iMac that I purchased just a few weeks ago. I 'updated' last night and when I got up in the morning, found my iMac still on with Apple logo showing. When I shut down the computer and restarted it again showed the Apple logo and then a circle with a slash. I was able to boot up in recovery mode and am currently restoring from a Time Machine backup. Hopefully it will work. What is going on?!

My MacBook Pro updated fine last night. What would make this new iMac not update properly?

May 26, 2020 9:32 PM in response to Thubredhal

The same thing happened to my 2018 15" MBP, while updating what I thought was an incremental update, the installation was interrupted. The machine has been dead for over a week now. Apple support was not much help either. It's most likely a T2 chip firmware problem detailed here:

https://mrmacintosh.com/10-15-4-supplemental-update-bricking-small-number-of-t2-macs/

Using another MBP running the same OS, I attempted but was unable to "Rive" my DFU and hesitate to "Restore" the DFU which would also wipe the drive. Yikes.

This seems to be a growing number of very very unlucky mac users.

How is Apple not addressing this? A software update is bricking peoples computers!!!

WARNING macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Supplemental Update BRICKED my 13 inch Macbook 2018!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.