Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If My iMac Is Running On OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Which Is The Best OS X To Upgrade To Without Slowing Down My Computer?

I acquired am iMac from a deceased family member and wiped it clean. When I reinstalled the OS that came with the system, it was running on OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5) and I'd like to try to upgrade the OS. What's the best choice in terms of system compatibility? I know it could operate on El Capitan because that's what it was on before I wiped it but I wasn't sure if that was the best/most recent OS it could update to before things slowed down or compatibility issues arose. Ideally, I don't want to slow down the system. And I want to make sure my apps are compatible -- right now there's no iPhoto on the iMac and it's telling me I need to download iPhoto or Aperture and neither are appearing in the App Store since they aren't supported apps in the newer OS. Any appropriate recommendation would be appreciated!

Thanks!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 9:24 AM

You need an iMac late 2012 or newer to upgrade to Catalina or Mojave. The furthest you can upgrade is Mac OS High Sierra:

Get macOS High Sierra

You can check compatibility of apps here:

https://roaringapps.com

Similar questions

16 replies

Apr 16, 2020 11:03 AM in response to DJMT1287

High Sierra is still supported with security updates at least until the fall. It will also run newer versions of Mac OS software which are more secure and have more features.

BTW - that's a nice iMac! I'm on a mid-2010 27" myself.

Oh, and I'm asking for your screenshot to be edited for the serial number. It's not a good idea to post that in public forums.

Apr 27, 2020 4:45 PM in response to ANDYSMOM

No, any 32-bit apps you have will not run on Catalina so you'll need to upgrade them if the developer has upgrades. The"Relocated Items" are probably items you had stored outside of your User folder. The system in Catalina is locked down and all you have access to is your own data in Macintosh HD - Data container. So those items have been moved there.

Apr 27, 2020 5:42 PM in response to macjack

Ok. This is all going over my head for the most part!! The main reason I wanted to update the OS was because I wanted to do a backup of my iPad Mini 4 because I’m purchasing the iPad Mini 5. When I connected it to the Mac with the usb cable, the iPad kept dinging even when I allowed access to the Mac. I thought updating the Mac OS would help with this problem, but I’m still having the same problem 😞 I’m a not very tech savvy senior citizen!!

If My iMac Is Running On OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Which Is The Best OS X To Upgrade To Without Slowing Down My Computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.