Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does apple TV have to be "on" to use Siri for home automation?

Apple TV 4k is my home hub. When I am not using it, I have to use my phone to control home automation with "Hey Siri". Does it and the TV have to be on to for it to "hear" hey siri?

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 2:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 6:26 AM

the way it's suppose to work is an homepod, or appletv or ipad act as a bridge so ones iphone can control all the applekit stuff by internet because it goes passed the device at home which act on behalf of the iphone

this works fine for me with appletv or ipad acting as homekid boss

it require the appletv to have ac power connected or the ipad to have a battery

and the carrier allow data on the required ports https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202944

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2020 6:26 AM in response to 428neptune

the way it's suppose to work is an homepod, or appletv or ipad act as a bridge so ones iphone can control all the applekit stuff by internet because it goes passed the device at home which act on behalf of the iphone

this works fine for me with appletv or ipad acting as homekid boss

it require the appletv to have ac power connected or the ipad to have a battery

and the carrier allow data on the required ports https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202944

Apr 9, 2020 7:46 PM in response to 428neptune

Recent AppleTVs have a Siri button on the remote. I just tried it to turn on Homekit lights and it worked. First I woke the Sleeping ATV with the remote, then pressed the Siri button and just said "Turn shelf light on". It did not need the TV/hifi on for this to work.

This is a useful finding because I don't need to say "Hey Siri" first (which my Homepod would respond to and interrupt music playing)

Apr 10, 2020 6:04 AM in response to Michael Paine

Yes I just tried that and nothing happened. I recently installed some new smart switches and that is when I began to realize the Apple TV was not responding, unless it was on and active. If I speak to Siri in my phone, the lights respond. I also noticed that my phone and Apple TV must be on the same wi-fi network. That should not be true, because aren't you supposed to be able to control things from anywhere (any wi-fi)? I hope someone knows the answer and I appreciate your input.

Apr 10, 2020 1:56 PM in response to 428neptune

You can certainly control Homekit devices from anywhere using an iPhone that is logged in with the same AppleID as the one used to set up the Home Hub. Usually the iPhone is either on the same wifi network or connected via the mobile phone network (i.e. 3G/4G). In some cases it might not work if your iPhone is connected to a different wifi network (which takes priority over the 3G/4G) and that wifi does not allow the necessary ports for communicating with Homekit. This sometimes happens with office wifis that are set for extra security. It seems to me that your problem might be a wifi issue but there is a possibility that the AppleTV is defective.

Does apple TV have to be "on" to use Siri for home automation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.