Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There’s a problem loading this content.

Ever since iOS 13.4 then 13.4.1 I have had issues watching my movies on my iPhone via the Apple TV app. The error message I keep getting is “there’s a problem loading this content”. All of my content is on my phone. When will this bug be addressed. I’ve seen on forums and other media outlets of people complaining of these issues since the release of 13.4 and yet nothing has been done to address it. What is the the time table for this??

iPhone XS Max, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 4:42 PM

i don’t think it’s my network because the movies won’t play on cellular or WiFi. The movies are purchased downloads. None of the content is being streamed. Furthermore this issue started once I update my phones iOS to 13.4 and prior to that I had no issues.

Similar questions

14 replies

Apr 18, 2020 11:23 AM in response to vazandrew

vazandrew - I am actually having the same error... and it is recent and since upgrade Catalina on iMac, to iOS 13.3.1 on iPhone X, and tvOS 13.4 on Apple TV 4th Gen. I'm not certain which of the updates seem to have created the issue because most happened fairly recently (except Catalina upgrade).

I have iMac 5K 27" 2017 running Catalina 10.15.4

My video library is on a repurposed 2 TB Apple Time Capsule running running 7.8.1 that I am using as a home media server (for several years)

Fully wired ethernet home network.... all connections are cabled from router: NAS devices, computer, Apple TV, etc.

On my iMac, I can load and play both purchased Apple content and Home Library video content.

From this iMac, I can launch a movie and then select to have it play / display on 2 Apple TV's that I have, again connected via ethernet.

If I go to the Apple TV (which has and has always had Home Sharing enabled properly) I can launch the "Computers" App, and can see my entire video library (over 900 movies). I can load and display the data about the movie but when I press play - I get an error saying that there is an error and the content cannot be loaded.

This same Apple TV will play all Apple purchased content and content from all other installed applications (Netflix, CNNgo, CBS, etc.) without any issues or problems.

All devices have latest software updates.

I have refreshed the Home Sharing settings on Apple TV.

I have removed all cables from the AppleTV and have restarted several times.

I have tried migrating to WiFi connection over Ethernet (no change)

My iPhone X running iOS 13.3.1 exhibits the same symptoms (except of course it is WiFi only) - When I launch the TV app on iphone I can view and play purchased content and can view home library content but cannot play any of it (same error message).

I am pretty confident that the issue is not networking hardware or permissions but software related. The issue appeared within the last couple weeks.

Not sure if any of the above 'paints a picture' for you but would love any other troubleshooting steps you might consider.

Appreciatively,

LyndyB

Apr 18, 2020 12:07 PM in response to rrive1

UPDATE - Found my issue

How I troubleshooted my problem above:

1) I copied a movie onto the desktop of my iMac - gave it a test name, and then added to my TV App as a new movie.

I went to the Apple TV, loaded the Computers app > Movies, and saw the test named movie. When I clicked "play" it played properly. This told me that videos ON my iMac would play but something on a network drive were not being found.

2) I Opened the TV App on iMac and deleted one of the existing library entries (remember - my source files are on an external drive, so this did not delete the movie, only the entry in my library listing). I added the movie back into my library by scanning to the source location where stored. I went to the Apple TV again, saw it as a Recently added movie and hit play.... it worked. SO Now I know that content will play from a networked device too... but for some reason the TV App on my iMac is thinking the source content is in a different location....

3) Opened the TV App on iMac and went to Preferences > Files.

I clicked the "Reset" button, said NO I did not want to copy the source files over to my iMac (1.5 TB of video).

I went back to the Apple TV and selected several movies from the displayed library and they all played properly.

4) I tried loading my home library on my iPhone X TV App and iPad Air and was now able to display and play all videos in my home library.

SO....

I am going to assume that maybe an update to Catalina on my iMac changed something in the File path / directory structure or File location in preferences as I have not made any adjustments there in years.

A backup solution for people to try, is to remove one movie from your library and add it back in and see if that works. If it does, repeat for other content in your library... essentially re-training where the TV app knows your content is stored.

This may not be the problem for everybody else who encounters the issue but it would be a good thing to add to your diagnostic process.

Apr 16, 2020 1:34 PM in response to rrive1

If there were a bug in the software then it would be easy to replicate, this thread would have received numerous responses and the forum would also be consistently full of reports. Similar reports have come from select users on previous OS versions, and when proper investigation was done the issue within their setup was found and the issue rectified.

Apr 25, 2020 6:53 PM in response to rrive1

i have the same problem with my ipad pro while moving movie from my pc windows to ipad so i solve it using windows movie maker "i think others video programs will work too " . just upload the video to WMMaker and export it for ipad , will take a while but works for me . You also can use a video converter like MOVAVI works also but you need to buy pro version to remove watermark . good luck to all .

May 11, 2020 10:35 AM in response to rrive1

Same problem since iOS 13.4 and 13.4.1 and Catalina. Home Sharing a purchased movie (or even a ripped DVD) from the TV app on my MacBook Pro to my iPad, I get "There's a problem loading this content." 802.11ac wifi, solid 300-400Mbps throughput and all three devices are within 10' of each other. Seems Apple released new functionality without fully vetting it, again. The HLS/Home Sharing problem is likely related.

There are times when it feels like the TV app needs to authenticate with an Apple server somewhere, and someone changed something on the server side.

Jun 25, 2020 9:13 AM in response to rrive1

Agreed - not a network problem. Recently, I've found when I see this particular message, it means that the TV app on my MacBook (the library) has somehow lost my authorization -- another ongoing problem with that particular app. The solution I've been successful with is to re-authorize the app on the MacBook, then restart the TV app, first on the MacBook and then on the ATV.

There’s a problem loading this content.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.