Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

“save history when conversations are closed” option is greyed out

“save history when conversations are closed” option is greyed out. How do I ungrey this in iMessages.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 4:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2020 12:37 PM

Thanks for the info, Jimarti.

After unchecking the box for Messages in iCloud, did you then go back to the General tab to see if the option to 'Save history when conversations are closed' was no longer greyed out, and if so, did you add a check to it as well? If not, go ahead and do that now and check the behavior of closing those conversations out.

Post your results here.

Be well!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2020 12:37 PM in response to Jimarti

Thanks for the info, Jimarti.

After unchecking the box for Messages in iCloud, did you then go back to the General tab to see if the option to 'Save history when conversations are closed' was no longer greyed out, and if so, did you add a check to it as well? If not, go ahead and do that now and check the behavior of closing those conversations out.

Post your results here.

Be well!

Apr 12, 2020 1:46 PM in response to Jimarti

Hey Jimarti,

Thanks for your question about the Messages app on your Mac. I'd be glad to help you understand why that setting is greyed out.

From the sound of things, you may have Messages in iCloud enabled on your devices. Is that true? If so, then the option to save the history when conversations are closed would be greyed out, as it wouldn't line up with how Messages in iCloud works, which is to say, it syncs your conversations across all devices, so if you delete a conversation on one device, it disappears from all devices.

To see if this setting is enabled on your Mac, go to Messages > Preferences > iMessage and see if 'Enable Messages in iCloud has a check on it. If you do find that it isn enabled, then the greyed out setting would make sense.

Let me know what you find out.

Take care.

“save history when conversations are closed” option is greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.