Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Users folder not visible in Recovery Mode Terminal

Hello,

I am trying to recover some data after a sudden case of hard drive corruption that has left my OS (Mojave) unable to boot. I am able to boot into Recovery Mode, and I can see the contents of the drive in Terminal (meaning the hard drive is not completely inaccessible). My plan was to move off all of my user data via Terminal. Normally that wouldn't be an issue for me, as I am experienced in Terminal enough to do that, but the issue I am facing is that my /Users/ folder is completely invisible when I try to find it via /Volumes/(OS partition name)/Users. I've tried to think of where else I could access it, but it is simply not anywhere that is obvious to me as someone who has almost 2 decades of Mac experience.

So, my question is, does Recovery Mode hide this folder (for security reasons, etc)? Or is it possible that the folder is somehow lost in the corruption? This seems unlikely, but I am really worried that this might be the case. I have an older computer running Sierra, and when I go into Recovery Mode on that one, I am definitely able to see the /Users/ folder with no problem. So, I am hoping that this invisibility is just a change with Mojave?

I have considered reinstalling the OS, as I have read that it wouldn't overwrite the user folders, but I am somewhat worried to mess around with the drive at all, considering the corruption issue.

If all else fails, I have a hard drive enclosure arriving in a few days, which would hopefully allow me to access the files I need via another computer. I am just trying to get some answers for now about why the /Users/ folder is just completely missing, at least in Recovery Mode.

Notes: I've tried showing hidden files with the chflags command, to no success. And as far as I know, FileVault is not on (I have seen other discussions about certain folders not being accessible when FileVault is enabled).

Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you.

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 9:09 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 10, 2020 4:03 PM in response to VikingOSX

As mentioned, I already attempted this. The folder is literally missing, and no actions were taken to have made it go missing, other than the general hard drive corruption. Even still, I don't understand why that would make a whole (/Users/) folder disappear. I could understand singular files not working, but anything else seems far too extreme.

Apr 10, 2020 4:39 PM in response to Kappy

As mentioned to the other commenter, I am beyond this stage. The base /Users/ folder is missing, and this seems to be either a system security feature or an extreme result of hard drive corruption that would leave me baffled in my nearly two decades as a Mac user. I think I am going to have to wait until my hard drive enclosure comes to see if I can view the /Users/ folder on another computer. I have deep concerns about this working, though.

Users folder not visible in Recovery Mode Terminal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.