Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook overheats when I boot into Windows

I have a 16 inch MacBook with maxed out specs. I use windows to play GTA Online with my friends. I used to play on high settings but eventually the graphic quality started deteriorating and it went to 10 FPS. When I reduced the settings, the frame rate didn't change. Moreover, my device started overheating.

I don't know what's causing the issue and I'd really appreciate some help. Should I just reinstall windows at this point?

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 10:45 AM

Windows does not have software to run the fans in the Mac. Consequently, if the fans are idling when you boot into Windows, then they will not run faster to cool the machine. Game playing will cause the computer to heat up quickly. There is no solution for this in Windows. But there are numerous fan control utilities for the Mac. If you increase the fan speed before booting into Windows, then that should help cool the machine when running Windows.

The 16" MBP that you have is likely good for gaming if you stick with macOS. If you need high performance Windows gaming, then use a Windows machine.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2020 10:45 AM in response to rishyak

Windows does not have software to run the fans in the Mac. Consequently, if the fans are idling when you boot into Windows, then they will not run faster to cool the machine. Game playing will cause the computer to heat up quickly. There is no solution for this in Windows. But there are numerous fan control utilities for the Mac. If you increase the fan speed before booting into Windows, then that should help cool the machine when running Windows.

The 16" MBP that you have is likely good for gaming if you stick with macOS. If you need high performance Windows gaming, then use a Windows machine.

Apr 10, 2020 10:36 AM in response to rishyak

Make sure you have the bootcamp Windows drivers installed; However your issue is one somewhat known and unfortunately the fan and cooling management doesn’t work correctly under bootcamp and as you have Now found out: The graphics cards will throttle or worse the gpu will overheat if excessively stressed and this will lead to actual damage.

Gaming machines these really aren’t

MacBook overheats when I boot into Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.