Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac migration

Hi guys, unfortunately I'm not a techy like most of you. I'm a 50 year old trying to figure this out at home in quarantine. So, if you could speak to me like I'm five years old without a lot of tech-speak that would be very helpful.

Trying to Migrate from mac to mac. the migration stopped after about an hour. I was using migration assistant but the cable I was using wasn't an apple cable. it was a cheaper brand from amazon. not sure if that was an issue. My feeling is that I should reset the computer back to the way it was when I opened it and start over. is this a good idea?

MacBook Pro with 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports (2019), macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 10:35 AM

moejanglez wrote:

Hi guys, unfortunately I'm not a techy like most of you. I'm a 50 year old trying to figure this out at home in quarantine. So, if you could speak to me like I'm five years old without a lot of tech-speak that would be very helpful.

Trying to Migrate from mac to mac. the migration stopped after about an hour. I was using migration assistant but the cable I was using wasn't an apple cable. it was a cheaper brand from amazon. not sure if that was an issue. My feeling is that I should reset the computer back to the way it was when I opened it and start over. is this a good idea?

No harm in starting over if that is what you want to do.

Not all cables are made the same—if in doubt use a Apple branded cable.

The most trouble free way of setting up a new machine is use the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of the new machine:

Set up your new Mac - Apple Support

The second best way after the fact is the Migration Assistant:

How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2020 10:35 AM in response to moejanglez

moejanglez wrote:

No harm in starting over if that is what you want to do.

Not all cables are made the same—if in doubt use a Apple branded cable.

The most trouble free way of setting up a new machine is use the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of the new machine:

Set up your new Mac - Apple Support

The second best way after the fact is the Migration Assistant:

How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

mac migration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.