Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina won't allow me to install anything. Just creates alias's.

Sorry if this was asked before. Anyway, just got a new iMac and running Catalina and have to say I'm about ready to scream! How the **** do you install software on here? I've already had to use the terminal command to show in System Preferences the "allow apps downloaded from anywhere" to show? But even that still isn't working, even after a reboot.

What I've done:

Downloaded Affinity Photo

Get the .dmg folder

Open that and drag the application to "applications" folder

When I look in there it's created an alias and is pointing to the file that is in the .dmg

Same with other apps. Maybe I'm just not "with it" haven't had a new OS in a long time!!

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 5:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 9:20 AM

OK, it was something fairly simple. Followed this. UGH. Thanks though Cheetaux!!!

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-permissions-for-files-folders-or-disks-mchlp1203/mac

Had to do this.

Click the Action pop-up menu , then choose “Apply to enclosed items.”

11 replies

Apr 11, 2020 9:07 AM in response to Cheetaux

Thanks for trying to help.

Here's the .dmg file I downloaded

Open it and drag the application icon to Applications

Now when I open Applications it's an "alias" of Firefox it hasn't been installed its just pointing to the file in the .dmg folder see where it says alias 2kb?

It's probably going to turn out something simple that I've completely overlooked!!

Catalina won't allow me to install anything. Just creates alias's.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.