Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why 2 drives on my desktop?

Background ... I just bought a new MacBook Air, and the first time I tried to initialize it, something was corrupted, so I started over from scratch. I did a clean install of Catalina, then used Migration Assistant to reload everything from a clean Time Machine back-up. Except for the fact that I seem to have lost all of my saved passwords, everything seemed fine.

But then I looked at my desktop: it shows 2 hard drives. One is named "Macintosh HD - Data" and the other "Duncintosh" (the name of the hard drive on my old MacBook Pro). They appear to be virtually identical in content. And they are both using just under 200GB of drive space.

Disk Utility shows me 3 drives: Duncintosh, Duncintosh - Data, and Macintosh HD - Data.

Can I safely delete the Macintosh HD - Data? How? I want that 200 GB of space.

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 8:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 11:21 PM

Hi,

Since Catalina released, macOS divide two partitions, one is read only system partition, Macintosh HD, the other is user level partition, named Macintosh Data for secures tighten against virus and malware.

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 23, 2020 1:54 PM in response to Daddy D

I have had that issue as well.

It is definitely related to the new APFS file structure, and use of Time Machine for restore of accounts.

Here is what I have had success with:

Back up your Mac to an external Time Machine drive (and probably backing that up with a copy as well).

Then start up in in Recovery mode.

Erase the Internal drive using Disk Utility (choose APFS).

This will create the correct volume structure.

Reinstall an OS via Apple download to create a single clean account.

Once you are signed in on the new account, start Migration assistant, and choose your TM backup.

Note that if the new account is named the same as your old TM backup account, you will be asked for your password to approve merging the account with your TM backup of the same name.

Migration Assistant will then add all apps, user accounts, and docs from your last backup.

There still may be some minor settings to update (some Prefs, Apple ID, etc.), but almost everything will be identical to your old machine.

If the Clean account you created for the restore has a different name (and is not needed), it can be deleted later in Users and Groups / System Prefs.

You should show now two volumes in Disk Utility, but only one drive on your Desktop.

Why 2 drives on my desktop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.