Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod/Airplay not available/working in iTunes for Win10

I've got a HomePod in my network. It is available on my MacBook and iPhone and Win10 PC.

But on the Win10 PC it's not available. What is going on?

Both Win10 PC's are on the same WiFi Network.

Both got the latest iTunes version.

The first picture shows the iTunes without AirPlay; the second shows iTunes with Airplay.

HomePod, 13

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 1:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 4:25 AM

No, by all means keep experimenting, if you're so inclined. I was only expressing my surprise that it was recognized in the Windows version of iTunes at all, since I didn't think it was supported.

It turns out I was wrong though, I'm sorry about that. Apparently, it should work fine with the latest version from the Microsoft Store, see this link.

Streaming from your devices is more of a secondary function in the HomePod in the first place though. Even the Mac version of iTunes is finicky with streaming over Wi-Fi (though if you have newer iOS devices those should work fine, IME). It's best suited to stream directly from the internet connection it has, from the Apple servers using your Apple Music subscription of iCloud music library.

(This is what it tries to do even when you stream "from your device." It gets the item you want to play, position, etc., and streams it directly from the cloud if possible. Obviously if it is not iTunes content, it will stream from the device which is the only available source.)

You should definitely contact Apple support if you have made sure you have iTunes 12.9 or later and you cannot get this to work. Again, I apologize for the misinformation, I assumed it wasn't compatible because the material for HomePod doesn't mention PC support, but the PC iTunes troubleshooting manual had a section on HomePod on it.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2020 4:25 AM in response to Pieter Ratering

No, by all means keep experimenting, if you're so inclined. I was only expressing my surprise that it was recognized in the Windows version of iTunes at all, since I didn't think it was supported.

It turns out I was wrong though, I'm sorry about that. Apparently, it should work fine with the latest version from the Microsoft Store, see this link.

Streaming from your devices is more of a secondary function in the HomePod in the first place though. Even the Mac version of iTunes is finicky with streaming over Wi-Fi (though if you have newer iOS devices those should work fine, IME). It's best suited to stream directly from the internet connection it has, from the Apple servers using your Apple Music subscription of iCloud music library.

(This is what it tries to do even when you stream "from your device." It gets the item you want to play, position, etc., and streams it directly from the cloud if possible. Obviously if it is not iTunes content, it will stream from the device which is the only available source.)

You should definitely contact Apple support if you have made sure you have iTunes 12.9 or later and you cannot get this to work. Again, I apologize for the misinformation, I assumed it wasn't compatible because the material for HomePod doesn't mention PC support, but the PC iTunes troubleshooting manual had a section on HomePod on it.

Apr 13, 2020 12:07 AM in response to Pieter Ratering

I have been looking around this discussion group at similar problems (Airplay not working).

I finally seem to have fixed it in this way:

• Uninstall iTunes on the PC
  • Uninstall Bonjour on the PC (could be older version installed bij Windows Store)
  • Go to Apple's download pages for iTunes. Choose the Windows 10 installation. Then you are redirected to the Windows Store. Scroll down a little and find something like "Looking for other versions? >> MacOs >> Windows". Choose Windows. This takes you to the regular Apple Download page. Download and install iTunes from here. It will also reinstall Bonjour.

This worked for me!

Apr 13, 2020 12:20 AM in response to Pieter Ratering

Well, this worked for about half an hour... :-( After that I tried to change the volume using the PC. That seemed to work but one minute later the music stopped and I got this message. Sorry, it's Dutch but it means something like "The Airplay Device Woonkamer is not available. Check the Network Preferences en the Airplay-configuration or select a different Device in the Airplay Menu".

That's it, Folks. This is just hopeless. It's so depressing!

HomePod/Airplay not available/working in iTunes for Win10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.