Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Navigating through video files - workflow

I do some work with both Motion and Final Cut Pro. My usual workflow is to edit the required short clip in Motion, then export with a short overlap to FCP, exporting, say, a 15 second clip for an FCP import of about 8 secs, which allows for transition and spacing overlaps.

However, I'm usually working with source files that are considerably longer - I'm often importing a 10 minute video into Motion, of which I'll only use 15 seconds. Whenever this is imported, it'll place the clip at the start of the timeline, and I'll have to drag the clip to the area I want to use. The timeline doesn't seem to expand longer than the 15 second duration, which leaves me a lot of dragging. I assume I'm being daft here and missing something obvious - What's the efficient way of navigating through the clip to get to the section I want?

Thanks in advance, and excuse my stupidity...

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 5:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 9:34 PM

When working with longer video files, it helps to know about how long they are before creating a new project. In the new project dialog, set the frame rate and length of the video (maximum length if working with more than one video file) and input it into the appropriate fields:

The next step is to place the playhead at where you want to start your edits and type Command-Option-i (to mark a Play Range In) then move the playhead to the end point and type Command-Option-O (play range out).

Do all your edits.

Share your video (Export Movie...). Make sure you go into the Settings pane and set Use Play Range:

otherwise you'll end up exporting the entire project length. [Example times will look a little weird -- I was working in a 100fps project.]

If you need better timing references, you can use 'i' and 'o' to set in/outs on the video and move its timing bar to line up with the beginning of the project and reset the project length to match the trimmed length.

The easiest way to retime a project is to use the clock under the canvas. If you click on the little clock icon (setting the time to 12:15) that shows the project length — you can click and drag up or down on the timecode to change the project length (or you can simply double click on it and type it in.) When you're done, you can click the clock icon again (resetting to 12:07) to get the current playhead position.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2020 9:34 PM in response to daveedmondston

When working with longer video files, it helps to know about how long they are before creating a new project. In the new project dialog, set the frame rate and length of the video (maximum length if working with more than one video file) and input it into the appropriate fields:

The next step is to place the playhead at where you want to start your edits and type Command-Option-i (to mark a Play Range In) then move the playhead to the end point and type Command-Option-O (play range out).

Do all your edits.

Share your video (Export Movie...). Make sure you go into the Settings pane and set Use Play Range:

otherwise you'll end up exporting the entire project length. [Example times will look a little weird -- I was working in a 100fps project.]

If you need better timing references, you can use 'i' and 'o' to set in/outs on the video and move its timing bar to line up with the beginning of the project and reset the project length to match the trimmed length.

The easiest way to retime a project is to use the clock under the canvas. If you click on the little clock icon (setting the time to 12:15) that shows the project length — you can click and drag up or down on the timecode to change the project length (or you can simply double click on it and type it in.) When you're done, you can click the clock icon again (resetting to 12:07) to get the current playhead position.

Apr 11, 2020 2:42 PM in response to daveedmondston

Hi

Motion doesn't have that feature you are looking for. The timeline is locked to the duration value chosen when the project was created. You can update that duration value in the project settings - if you do that it helps to 'reset play range' from the mark menu.

There are shortcuts to trim and to move start/end point - check the 'mark' menu for those, ...the shortcuts can help manage the larger media a little, but not any better than just dragging it around like you already do. Motion isn't an NLE, so you won't find the same tine line utility that you get in FCPX, Premiere, Avid etc.

Navigating through video files - workflow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.