Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is there no input signal from my microphone or synthesiser? (They're both connected to a single audio interface)

Hi,

When I try to record on my mic or play anything on my synthesiser on logic it doesn't show there are sounds on any of the faders. I can hear my synth and mic through my studio monitors but it doesn't show up on Logic.

My audio interface is a M-Audio air 192|14

Not sure what my mic is

My studio monitors are Yamaha HS8's

Thanks,

David

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 2:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 9:08 AM

You were able to record the Mic signal. Great! So I assume you installed/configured the air 192 according to the user manual.

I didn't have that much time with my previous post. Let get in a bit more details now.

Signal paths can go like that:

Audio input device (ex: Mic) > air 192 hardware input > USB to computer > Logic Audio Channel Strip Input (Input Slot).

Logic Output > USB to air 192 > air 192 hardware output > Speakers.

The air 192 has a direct monitoring function. It means you hear what coming from its inputs not from Logic:

Audio input device (ex: Mic) > air 192 hardware input > air 192 hardware output > Speakers.

Turn off direct monitoring on the air 192 if you want to hear what coming from Logic.

To summarize, you create an Audio Track in Logic. This creates a corresponding Audio Channel Strip in the Mixer. You can also see it in the Track Inspector to the left. You click on the input slot on the Channel Strip and select an input corresponding to the desired hardware input on the air 192.

For the synthesizer, you may have to create a stereo track.

Hope this helps. If you need more help, do not hesitate.

WD

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2020 9:08 AM in response to DavidD_

You were able to record the Mic signal. Great! So I assume you installed/configured the air 192 according to the user manual.

I didn't have that much time with my previous post. Let get in a bit more details now.

Signal paths can go like that:

Audio input device (ex: Mic) > air 192 hardware input > USB to computer > Logic Audio Channel Strip Input (Input Slot).

Logic Output > USB to air 192 > air 192 hardware output > Speakers.

The air 192 has a direct monitoring function. It means you hear what coming from its inputs not from Logic:

Audio input device (ex: Mic) > air 192 hardware input > air 192 hardware output > Speakers.

Turn off direct monitoring on the air 192 if you want to hear what coming from Logic.

To summarize, you create an Audio Track in Logic. This creates a corresponding Audio Channel Strip in the Mixer. You can also see it in the Track Inspector to the left. You click on the input slot on the Channel Strip and select an input corresponding to the desired hardware input on the air 192.

For the synthesizer, you may have to create a stereo track.

Hope this helps. If you need more help, do not hesitate.

WD

Apr 11, 2020 4:58 PM in response to DavidD_

Based on your description, the first thing I would check is if Logic is authorized to use the Mic in Apple Menu > System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy. Look for the Mic tab on the left.

Give us more details on your setup: macOS and Logic versions, connections between synthesizer, speakers, audio interface and the computer.

WD

Why is there no input signal from my microphone or synthesiser? (They're both connected to a single audio interface)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.