Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder truncating all columns except name

Finder has started to behave oddly. It is configured to open in list view. When it opens it shows only the name column:

I can grab the right-hand side and move it right, which exposes the other columns.

There seems to be no way to force it to just open (as it used to) showing whatever columns I have configured it to show that fit into the window.

Any ideas on how to fix this???

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 7:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 10:24 PM

FWIW, you seem to have a third-party add-on that is not displaying correctly in the Finder toolbar. It may be the cause of your problem.

See if the Finder works normally while you are in Safe Mode.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

3 replies

Apr 12, 2020 7:48 AM in response to dialabrain

You were right about the question mark. I had not really noticed it. That was remnants of an old application that died with Catalina, but when removed didn't fully remove all config.

Removed that manually, logout and back in, and the question mark went away, but the problem I was chasing did not.

I did find that it was not as I was thinking, that it was just displaying the name column, that turned out to be coincidence, the blank column to the right turned out to be a "preview pane".

Turned that off, and its all working as (I think) it should.

Thanks for pointing that out - even though it wasn't the cause it did set me on a track that led to the solution.

Finder truncating all columns except name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.