Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB C Post not working after Catalina 10.15.4 update.

Hello everyone, my Mac Book Air 2019 USB-C Port not working it become unresponsive after Catalina 10.15.4 update and now my battery is dead. I also somehow update the latest supplementary update but same issue.

Kindly, please help me. I have very important works to do and it's very difficult to go service centre in lock down.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 10:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 2:10 AM

Hi Anurag,

Yes those instructions will work on low battery state as long as the MacBook has enough power to boot up.

Can you follow the instructions in this article by Apple, Step by Step ➔ If your Mac does not turn on - Apple Support and see if that helps.

Axel F.

10 replies

Apr 12, 2020 1:00 AM in response to anuragvnk

Hi Anurag,

Your MacBook Air 2019 comes with two USB-C ports as you know. Are both ports not operational? I am assuming that they are not. Is the battery dead or your MacBook Air just not turning ON?

Try and follow the instructions in this article by Apple ➔How to Reset the SMC on your MacBook. See if that helps if you are able to perform the task. If the procedure works then also ➔ Reset the NVRAM on your MacBook. Good Luck.

Axel F.

Apr 12, 2020 2:00 AM in response to Axel Foley

Hi Axel,

Thanks for the reply.

Are both ports not operational? I am assuming that they are not.

> Yes

Is the battery dead or your MacBook Air just not turning ON?

> Battery low. MacBook Air not truning ON. ( Battery low sign on boot up before Apple logo appears. )

I tried your instructions but same issue.

> But, these instructions works on battery low ?

Thanks & Regards

Anurag

Apr 12, 2020 9:56 AM in response to anuragvnk

If you can turn your MacBook Air then at that time Reset the SMC as shown in my previous post. Just note that you have a MacBook Air 2019 using a T2 Chip so follow the instructions for that model.

If you feel that nothing works then take your MacBook Air back to an Apple Store or an authorized repair center while it is still covered under Apple's 1YR limited warranty. I know Apple stores are closed these days and therefore you may contact Apple Support from the link at the top right of this screen and ask what can be done.

Axel F.

May 17, 2020 10:05 PM in response to anuragvnk

I may be having a similar issue with my <2 weeks old Macbook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2020) running Catalina 10.15.4.

When I unplug cables from the USB-C ports then plug them back in, the port toward the back stops working. The power cable will not power the battery even when directly connected, nor will any other USB-C device work through that port. I can reset the SMC to restore functionality. Sometimes it takes a couple of resets to make it work again.

The problem recurs every time I unplug the USB-C cables from the laptop.

That back port is usually occupied by a hub that has Cat-5 (ethernet), HDMI, and power. The front port has an HDMI to USB-C cable. The same problem occurs if the two are switched, and as stated before the port doesn't work even if I bypass the hub and plug in the cables directly to USB-C.

The port closer to the front of the laptop seems to work reliably.

Jun 22, 2020 11:30 AM in response to anuragvnk

Two of my USB C ports on my 2016 MacBook pro are out, as is the camera since installing Catalina. Yet if you call Apple support, they don't mention this as an issue. Additionally those two ports burned up (literally) 2 web cams and a headset before they went dead. They sent me to a repair store who wanted 900 for a camera replacement as its imbedded in the screen. Something is up with the customer service, and testing/QA.

USB C Post not working after Catalina 10.15.4 update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.