Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime - Sign in with your Apple ID

My wife's iPad (3rdGen on iOS 9.3.5) experienced troubles (I opined it was user operator errors... still feeling a little cold in mid April, but I digress) some restarts and can not get FaceTime working again. I have tried several times over several days... even as requested to change Apple ID password, and it always results in a failed sign in with message: "FaceTime Activation. Unable to contact the FaceTime server. Try again." This has occurred over 20 times. I would appreciate any help. TIA

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 2:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 4:17 PM

Do you have access to another WiFi network where you can try? That has worked for several people.

Try a restart.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch         

Try a forced restart.

Reset Device.      

If necessary

Hard reset.        

Do a backup and try a factory reset. Then restore from your backup.

Restore to Factory setting.      

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup.      

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2020 4:17 PM in response to RealErnie

Do you have access to another WiFi network where you can try? That has worked for several people.

Try a restart.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch         

Try a forced restart.

Reset Device.      

If necessary

Hard reset.        

Do a backup and try a factory reset. Then restore from your backup.

Restore to Factory setting.      

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup.      

Apr 12, 2020 3:27 PM in response to donv_the_ghost

iMessage was not active. When I opened the app was requested to: "Sign in with your Apple ID to activate iMessage." Entered AID&passwd... get " <SpinningWheel> Signing in..." ...(long) time passes... results in a failed sign in with message: "FaceTime Activation. Unable to contact the FaceTime server. Try again." Although trying to open/connect w/ "iMessage" failed reply messages says "FaceTime" twice!

Many thanks for your SuperQuick reply. I shall take your advise (above) and call Apple support (after holiday) tomorrow.

Apr 13, 2020 8:33 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric Root:

SUCCESS!

I did not have an alt wifi network... I tried the next suggestion... IT WORKED... FIXED PROBLEM (w/ ease).

The second suggestion I tried: "Restart your iPad."

"FaceTime" is now working well on the iPad... I also opened "iMessage" and was requested to Login/Activate Apple ID, entered AID&Passwd... app accepted credentials... and now "iMessage" is also working. Success All Around!

Many thanks to Eric Root.

FaceTime - Sign in with your Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.