Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp install Win 10 in a MBP mid 2012 15" Mojave 10.14.6

Good Evening,

First time here, and want beforehand to acknowledge the vast amount of very experienced people that gathers in this forums.Thanks in advance.

I am still using my trusty MBP mid 2012 ,it has been updated up to 10GB RAM and very recently just upgraded to Mojave and working fine.

After checking the Win 10+Bootcamp compatibility issues for my model everything seemed OK.

I bought a license for Win10 and tried to install it through Bootcamp.

After trying multiple things and looking all around in different forums I don't seem to get anywhere.

After Bootcamp everything seems fine, but while rebooting it shows this message "No bootable device-insert boot disk and press any key".

Which prompted me to restart the MB and through the Alt key find that there's 3 options :

1.OSX SSD ____

2.Windows

3.EFI Boot.

Option 2 gets me to the above stated issue. Option 3 lets me get through the installation until it shows up a dialogue window asking me about the desired partition to install Windows.

If selecting the Bootcamp partition the next message comes up "Windows cannot be installed to this disk.The selected disk has an MBR partition table.On EFI systems Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.

Now, while searching for a solution I have come up with a few good tips :

-USB incompatibility ( I'm trying to use a SandDisk Micro SD with a USB converter)...

-The Bootcamp created partition isn't fit for a Windows installation through the BC app.

I am a bit desperate since I am in need of software that can only be installed in Win.

Many thanks in advance.

Nuwanda.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 13, 2020 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2020 12:27 PM

Your 2012 Mac is a preUEFI Mac, so EFI Boot is not the correct method to install on the partition. The partition has a Hybrid MBR, which is the correct partition. If you connect the USB+SD card, and reboot and hold Alt/Option, you should see a Windows icon from the USB. Select it and format/erase your Bootcamp partition (do not touch any other partitions, otherwise you will lose data). See Install Windows on your older Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support for reference.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2020 12:27 PM in response to Nuwanda1989

Your 2012 Mac is a preUEFI Mac, so EFI Boot is not the correct method to install on the partition. The partition has a Hybrid MBR, which is the correct partition. If you connect the USB+SD card, and reboot and hold Alt/Option, you should see a Windows icon from the USB. Select it and format/erase your Bootcamp partition (do not touch any other partitions, otherwise you will lose data). See Install Windows on your older Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support for reference.

Bootcamp install Win 10 in a MBP mid 2012 15" Mojave 10.14.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.