Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail quits unexpectedly

problem report says "system integrity protection enabled" ?

MacBook Air 11", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 13, 2020 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 7:24 AM

Hello Steamboat Cowboy,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. I understand your Mail app is quitting unexpectedly. Being able to use Mail is critical, and I'm glad to offer some troubleshooting steps.

For clarification, System Integrity Protection is a critical security function of your Mac and should be enabled: About System Integrity Protection on your Mac

Regarding Mail, does it quit as soon as you open it, or while it's in use? If it's during use, what actions are you taking when it quits?

If it quits immediately after launch, make sure the app is fully closed and then hold Shift while you open the Mail app from the Dock. This bypasses the saved state the app was last in, and might help.

If that doesn't help, boot into safe mode to see if the issue occurs there. This will help rule out a few software causes: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Feel free to reply back with how it goes in safe mode.

Have a great day.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2020 7:24 AM in response to Steamboat Cowboy

Hello Steamboat Cowboy,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. I understand your Mail app is quitting unexpectedly. Being able to use Mail is critical, and I'm glad to offer some troubleshooting steps.

For clarification, System Integrity Protection is a critical security function of your Mac and should be enabled: About System Integrity Protection on your Mac

Regarding Mail, does it quit as soon as you open it, or while it's in use? If it's during use, what actions are you taking when it quits?

If it quits immediately after launch, make sure the app is fully closed and then hold Shift while you open the Mail app from the Dock. This bypasses the saved state the app was last in, and might help.

If that doesn't help, boot into safe mode to see if the issue occurs there. This will help rule out a few software causes: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Feel free to reply back with how it goes in safe mode.

Have a great day.

Apr 14, 2020 12:12 PM in response to i_rina

Hello i_rina,

Thanks for your response. I have resolved the problem. I made a number of efforts at using safe mode and also trying to open the Mail app while holding Shift, all to no avail. The Mail app persisted in a cycle of quickly closing, sending a problem report, then repeat. I never saw a display of the "Outbox" I later saw. I finally tried reinstalling the High Sierra software, even though it was the latest version for my old MacAir (mid 2011). When I restarted the MacAir and opened the Mail App a previously never seen by me symbol (mailbox?) appeared, labeled "outbox". This contained an unsent email which was lacking an email address attached to the Contact's name. I deleted it and all mail problems ceased. It appeared that when copy/pasting a new email address for this contact, somehow parentheses were enclosing the email address and that apparently lead to a blank field where the email address should have been.

Mail quits unexpectedly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.