Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Working with the Recent folder in Photos?

How can I remove or move photos out of the Recents folder in Photos. Is this the same folder as 'camera roll'? My Recents folder has the same number of photos as Photos.

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 2:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 11:48 PM

Steph7319 wrote:

How can I remove or move photos out of the Recents folder in Photos. Is this the same folder as 'camera roll'? My Recents folder has the same number of photos as Photos.

Which system version do you have installed on your mac?

All albums that Photos is creating automatically (Photos, Recents, Imports, ... Media types) cannot be modified by the user at all. They are showing you special views of your library. Some predefined views are showing the photos sorted by the date the photos have been taken, others by the date the photos have been added.. The selection of the photos in the predefined albums will depend on the rules for this album.

Im macOS 10.15 the Recents album is supposed to be sorted be the date the photo has been added. You can see this, if you look at the menu "View > Sort". For "Recents" this is automatically set to "Oldest date added".

You can only modify albums or smart albums you create yourself. For easy access to the most recently added photos I recommend to create a new smart album "My recents" which will show the most recently imported photos:

• File > New Smart Album
  • Set the smart rule to "Date added is in the last ... Days"

You mention the Camera Roll album? Photos on the Mac does not have such an album. Are you asking about Photos on an iPhone or iPad and not about Photos on a Mac?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2020 11:48 PM in response to Steph7319

Steph7319 wrote:

Which system version do you have installed on your mac?

All albums that Photos is creating automatically (Photos, Recents, Imports, ... Media types) cannot be modified by the user at all. They are showing you special views of your library. Some predefined views are showing the photos sorted by the date the photos have been taken, others by the date the photos have been added.. The selection of the photos in the predefined albums will depend on the rules for this album.

Im macOS 10.15 the Recents album is supposed to be sorted be the date the photo has been added. You can see this, if you look at the menu "View > Sort". For "Recents" this is automatically set to "Oldest date added".

You can only modify albums or smart albums you create yourself. For easy access to the most recently added photos I recommend to create a new smart album "My recents" which will show the most recently imported photos:

• File > New Smart Album
  • Set the smart rule to "Date added is in the last ... Days"

You mention the Camera Roll album? Photos on the Mac does not have such an album. Are you asking about Photos on an iPhone or iPad and not about Photos on a Mac?

Working with the Recent folder in Photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.