Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac so slow

iMac running slow shortly after getting it, like previous one. Help appreciated

Thanks

iMac, OS X 10.10

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 2:37 AM

4 replies

Apr 15, 2020 10:08 AM in response to toshha

This is a big problem in case the hard drive is failing:

Last backup: 2019-01-13 23:27:50

Make a backup NOW!

We have the same model iMac with the same hard drive specs and it feels slow due to the old-style drive and a slow interface. However, on the same test our read/write scores are almost twice yours. Once you back up the computer, evict the useless anti-virus and cleaning apps, and restart, run EtreCheck to see if the write/read scores in this section have improved:

Performance:

System Load: 1.41 (1 min ago) 1.45 (5 min ago) 1.34 (15 min ago)

Nominal I/O speed: 1.36 MB/s

File system: 25.49 seconds

Write speed: 60 MB/s

Read speed: 56 MB/s

Our 2011 iMac with the same drive is posting scores of 90-115MB/s.

Google Chrome is hogging over 30 percent of your already upgraded RAM. If you must use it, quit it when finished. Chrome will grab a bunch of resources if you leave it open in the background.

There is emerging evidence that outdated versions of DivX can slow a Mac. Your version dates to 2012. If yo use it, update it; in not, dump it.

It look like Photos is trying to upload a lot of stuff to iCloud and is jammed.

Network:

Interface usbmodemfd11: USB Modem

Interface en0: Ethernet

Interface en1: AirPort

802.11 a/b/g/n

Interface en3: Bluetooth PAN

Interface bridge0: Thunderbolt Bridge

iCloud Quota: 1.42 TB available

iCloud Status: 28 pending files

I'm not sure how to deal with that as I do not use Photos. Maybe someone else can help there.

iMac so slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.