Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to give apps permission to use microphone

HI, I'm trying to use zoom on my ipad but I am muted in all meetings even my own. None of the settings in Zoom are muting me. Zoom keeps telling me to go to Settings>Privacy>Microphone and give Zoom permission to use the microphone. however when I do that the microphone settings do not show Zoom. It only says, "Applications that have requested access will appear here" but no apps are listed. Microphone works fine in Facetime on the Ipad. I've spent 2 hours reading zoom and apple forums about this and have done all of the following: updated software on ipad, reset privacy settings, uninstalled and reinstalled zoom 4 times, made sure no other apps are using the microphone, but none of that works.

I know this is an issue many people have had over the years because it's been asked repeatedly since 2014. I've tried all the solutions I can find in previous apple Forums but they are now fairly out of date. Can you help with this?

iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2020 11:33 AM

What worked for me was going into Settings, then into Screen Time. Go to Content & Privacy Restrictions. Scroll down to Microphone. Click on Allow Changes. Zoom should show up on this screen where you can give it permission to access your microphone. You may have to reinstall Zoom to get it to show up here.

That's at least what worked for me. Good Luck!

Similar questions

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2020 11:33 AM in response to Xt712zy

What worked for me was going into Settings, then into Screen Time. Go to Content & Privacy Restrictions. Scroll down to Microphone. Click on Allow Changes. Zoom should show up on this screen where you can give it permission to access your microphone. You may have to reinstall Zoom to get it to show up here.

That's at least what worked for me. Good Luck!

Apr 14, 2020 8:41 PM in response to QuickPost

I have done that, but frankly if that's the extent of apples response it is extremely unhelpful. Given the number of people who've had this issue over several years with various apple devices and various apps it seems clear it not just an issue with Zoom. Please give that the benefit of the doubt and provide some solutions on my Ipad.

Apr 27, 2020 8:55 PM in response to lojomawo

So today my facebook messenger wouldn’t video chat either, or FaceTime. Messenger worked a week or two ago... so I actually got someone to chat with me online to work it out... I’m using an iPad (so I’m not sure if any of this applies to a Mac book), and I had some restrictions set under “Screen Time”, so I shut that off.

After that the video part worked, but the mic still was not available, or even visible.

The next part was...

Lets start by resetting the network settings on the iPad. To do that you would go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network settings. You will need to sign back in to your Wi-Fi network when the iPad restarts.

After that my messenger video chat, FaceTime and Zoom all asked permission for the mic and worked fine.

I hope that helps!

Apr 27, 2020 8:15 PM in response to IvyMoo

I've gotten no response from Apple or Zoom and haven't had time to revisit. I did notice on my MacBook Air that some video conferencing services like Microsoft teams and Zoom have the same muting issue with the web version but if I download and run the app on my computer they work. This makes me think that if uninstall and reinstall on Ipad again they may eventually work, but I've not gotten around to trying it.

If you have any success I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!

Unable to give apps permission to use microphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.