Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail hangs up and becomes nonresponsive after short use. Can

Mail hangs up and becomes nonresponsive after short use. Can't reboot computer and must do hard quit and restart, then Mail OK for a while. I've reinstalled the OS (High Sierra) and zapped the pram to no avail. Help!

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 2:02 PM

You can save us asking dozens of questions by submitting a report...

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report...

https://pastebin.com/

Or use the paperclip at the bottom of a Reply to attach the full report here. :)

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2020 2:02 PM in response to Roger--Dodger

You can save us asking dozens of questions by submitting a report...

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report...

https://pastebin.com/

Or use the paperclip at the bottom of a Reply to attach the full report here. :)

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck.

Apr 15, 2020 8:49 AM in response to Roger--Dodger

Greetings, Roger--Dodger.

I see that the Mail application on your Mac stops responding and you have to force-quit the app and restart your Mac. Good job on reinstalling the operating system, and I'm glad to help with this.

How to use safe mode on your Mac -- Restart your Mac in safe mode and see if it works as expected from there. If it happens while in safe mode, follow the steps under "If the issue continues in safe mode". If it doesn't, the steps to use is under "If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode". You'll need to add your email account(s) in order to test a new user account.

Let me know if it happens while in safe mode or works as expected when you're able.

Take care.

Apr 21, 2020 9:48 AM in response to MoonJ.

Hi Moonj.,

I've tried as many of your suggestions as possible. In safe mode, Chrome goes all wonky, as well as other other programs, making it pretty much unusable. Not sure what that means.

I've tried the following:

•reinstalled OS (10.13.6) yet again, along with latest security update

•uninstalled Flash, as I thought maybe that was causing the problem and it's going away in December anyway

•uninstalled Perian but it still shows up in System Preferences to allow a reinstall

•the only other program that shows up in system Preferences is Flip4Mac, which is still active

•checked for login items, with only iTunesHelper and Dropbox being there and active

The problem persists! I think the problem with Mail may be a symptom, not a cause. Once the problem occurs, Mail fails to delete items or download new items of mail. Also, I am then unable to use the "restart" command under the Apple icon at top left of screen and must do a force-quit and then restart. Once I've done that, everything is OK for a while.

This morning, the only program I had running after turning on the computer was Mail, which bombed out after deleting and/or reading maybe 40 emails. Once it bombs out, I can only force-quit it, but then it will no longer activate and the problem continues until I force-quit and restart the computer.

Any further suggestions? I really don't want to lose my 32 bit capabilities by upgrading to 10.15, but I'm at a loss as to what else to do.

Thanks for your help so far!

Apr 21, 2020 9:57 AM in response to Roger--Dodger

MoonJ.,

I forgot to mention that when the problem is occurring, I cannot shut the computer down by using the "Shut Down" command under the Apple Menu either, so something seems to be disabling critical functions, including Mail. Also, once Mail has bombed out and I try to simply quit it, I get a never-ending rotating icon suggesting it's loading but, of course, it isn't. I get the same thing when I try to quit or reload the computer, which is why I must force-quit the computer to end the loop.

Apr 22, 2020 1:49 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua,

It looks like you didn't receive the email I sent last night. I purchased a copy of EtreCheck and ran it on my computer. It identified one bit of software (com.Software-Updater.agent.plist, located in System/Library/LaunchDaemons/) as adware, which I removed. I did some other cleaning, too, based on the report, and today I've not yet had a single problem while using the computer for 5 or so hours. I'm pretty sure my problem with Mail.app was a symptom of a deeper problem, and not the problem itself because of the failure of the ability to restart the computer without doing a hard shutdown via the power switch. I tried sending you a copy of the EtreCheck report last night but when I tried to attach it via the paperclip and also via pasting into the notepad, the message seemed to disappear. Anyway, thanks for the tip on EtreCheck. As time goes on I'm feeling more confident that the problem has resolved.

So, thanks again for you help, BDAqua, and yours too, MoonJ.

RogerDodger

Mail hangs up and becomes nonresponsive after short use. Can

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.