Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

startup disk no longer available

My 2015 Macbook Pro all of a sudden stopped turning on. I contacted Apple Support and they told me what to do... from there I still had problems with my computer starting up and I restarted it many times. Looked up youtube videos on how to reboot and did lots of "Command" "R" and "Shift" rebooting. Sometimes worked... but once my I tried to turn my computer on the next time a folder with a question mark kept flashing... Ive been trying to restore my disk through "Disk Utility" but there is no startup disk to be found. I am stuck, please help!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 12:16 PM

If Disk Utility does not list your drive type and size info, then the drive has failed. You need to replace it. I believe the model you have only comes with an SSD, so if it has failed, then the replacement is potentially a problem.

So, are you sure there is no drive in Disk Utility? Try the following:

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible, back up your files before proceeding.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the (Command-Option-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs, only if installing Mojave or Catalina ) or Mac OS Extended, (Journaled.)
  8. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  9. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  10. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

You need a working Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection. The latter is preferable.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2020 12:16 PM in response to acoveee

If Disk Utility does not list your drive type and size info, then the drive has failed. You need to replace it. I believe the model you have only comes with an SSD, so if it has failed, then the replacement is potentially a problem.

So, are you sure there is no drive in Disk Utility? Try the following:

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible, back up your files before proceeding.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the (Command-Option-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs, only if installing Mojave or Catalina ) or Mac OS Extended, (Journaled.)
  8. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  9. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  10. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

You need a working Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection. The latter is preferable.

startup disk no longer available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.