Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone will not sync with Mac, can't find Photos library

When I try to sync my iPhone with my Mac desktop I get this error message: "Photos cannot be synced to the iPhone “[My] iPhone X” because your Photos Library could not be found. Open Photos to create or update your Photos Library." Photos is running fine though, so obviously it can find the library.

iMac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 4:39 PM

Have you verified that the Photos library you are opening is designated as your System Photo Library?

Menu path: Photos > Preferences... > General > "Use as System Photo Library"

The button with that text should be faded. If not, click on it.

Similar questions

8 replies

May 28, 2020 10:37 AM in response to cdvfishing

@dreabug, I'm sorry I did not see your reply. Are you still having the problem?

@cdvfishing, I recommend you start your own thread. That way, people can ask you questions about your setup and problem without them getting mixed up with the original poster's setup and problem.

The recommended validation would take place on the Mac, inside the Photos application.

Menu path: Photos > Preferences... > General > "Use as System Photo Library" is shorthand for the following:

Pull down the Photos menu (of the Photos application).

Inside the Photos menu, select the "Preferences..." item to bring up the preferences window.

Inside the preferences window, click on the "General" icon at the top to get to the general preferences panel.

On the general preferences panel, look at the "Use as System Photo Library" button.

Once there, follow my recommendation: "The button with that text should be faded. If not, click on it."

If you had to change it, test to see if the problem behavior persists.

If it persists, or if you didn't have to change the setting, start that new thread, describing your problem and the steps you have taken to attempt to resolve it.

May 28, 2020 2:58 PM in response to markwmsn

Having similar issue. After installing Mojave, I've been unable to open my photo library on my MBP. Clicking on dashboard Photos icon repeatedly results in a "Closing the library..." message. Nothing more. Tried to follow the @markwmsn menu path to fix, but after clicking on Photos, the "Preferences" and "Quit Photos" are faded in the drop-down.

iPhone will not sync with Mac, can't find Photos library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.